No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Caithness? and need help to identify initials  (Read 1191 times)

Offline sueglass

• Members
Is this Caithness? and need help to identify initials
« on: September 01, 2008, 05:45:13 PM »
Hi all, I think this is Caithness and confirmation would be great, also on the base is engraved GPH Bouquet. Any ideas on date or any info appreciated. Thanks, Sue.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Is this Caithness? and need help to identify initials
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 06:14:40 PM »
With that marking most likely one of the other engraving houses, that style of bowl blank is widely used by engravers, not even necessarily Scottish. Looks sandblasted too, although image a bit small to tell.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sueglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 03:40:42 AM »
Thanks Frank, caught my eye when it first came into a local hospice charity shop £5, liked the overall shape (not my thing though), after it had been there for about 5 months and went down to £2 ended up saying "OK I'll have it"  they were glad that it
 was finally gone.. Where I work we have a fundraising day for the Meningitis trust, should I put it on Bric a brac or offer it as a prize in the raffle? any info I get on it would be a bonus as to the dating or value. Sue

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 09:01:40 AM »
As far as I know blanks in this shape come from various companies in UK, Europe, China. It is an ideal shape for showing of engraving. Probably best to move this into glass forum.

Offline sueglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:37:24 AM »
I know now why I thought it was Caithness, Pip had one similar in her British glass sold section. I realise it is not the same as mine has a rounded top and the Caithness is flat, thanks for the help Frank. Sue

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 10:21:50 AM »
Two blank suppliers I checked out sell crystal versions. One calls it a Witches Bowl https://secure.glassscribe.com/index.php?class=ViewPageAction&op=ViewPage&page=browse.php&cat=3,,209

Balmoral Crystal seems to be a trade name but may be a company. Possibly related to Mikasa.

Perhaps you can track down some more and ask them if the signature is from one of their customers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand