No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I.D. Help Please  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: I.D. Help Please
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 08:15:06 AM »
I didn't see the photo of the top of the piece!  Golly, I feel quite silly now.  :P  I thought Soledivo meant the pattern within the clear gather of glass around the body.  Ooops!  Yes, I feel inclined to agree with Adam now. 

I had a bit of trouble looking at the photo's so maybe I thought I'd seen them all when I hadn't.   :mus:

Going back to the functionality of art glass  ;) a 'perfume bottle' doesn't have to be functional either.  I don't think anyone actually uses them for perfume these days, do they?  The oasis (for want of a better word) for the liquid perfume can be very small compared to the overall size of the bottle.  Perhaps you could call some of them a kind of boast, or conceit of a glassmaker, showing their artistic skill with a nod towards past designs.

Of course, some people collect perfume bottles, so they'll always be popular and will continue to be made by skilled artisans, regardless of whether people use them for their proposed purpose.   :D

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 08:19:55 AM »
Sarcy aren't we  :cry:

I bow to your expertise, an if you let me know where you are I'd love to pop in 1 day. I'm on the South Coast.
What I thought was because there are ni little or minute area's around the "stopper" that aren't touching the bottle neck.
It must have been jammed in really hard if thats what it is,

unless of course the stopper was hit by a meteor.

Bang goes my valuation of it too.   :cry:
martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 09:06:41 AM »
http://www.zestgallery.com/display.php?navID=15

It is, by the way, a particularly nice piece of space debris! ;D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 01:44:54 PM »
I think I'm going right off this glass lark.

Guess it was a stupid thing to start with 2 teenage sons and big dog.

The lady dancing figure of mine has magically grown a bothery great crack along the back of her dress, the only good part is its at the back.
Both denying any knowledge, both looking guilty as hell.
And my lovely French sculpture isn't a sculpture but, "read above".

Guess it's one of those days.   :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
martin

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 09:31:46 PM »
Awww Martin, we all have days like that. It'll get better. :hug:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 03:31:22 AM »
Hey Martin, I can raise you three pre-teens and two dogs - we've only had a couple of tragedies (so far - crossing fingers, touching wood and tossing salt over my left shoulder).

It's still a gorgeous piece. We've all been there, Martin - just call it tuition glass and tote it up to experience. Adam, is there any easy way of getting the remains of the lid out?

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 07:12:55 AM »
Very tricky. One has to be careful not to break the neck which is anyhow a weak point. One way is to engrave the stopper away to nothing.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 02:00:07 PM »
Awww don't give up Martin!

My new cat has already broken a wonderful Rindskopf hyacinch vase (which I loved) and a small Seguso bird (only found that on the tiled floor of the studio a couple of nights ago..tail broken off)

I think everyone here has a shed or room which houses their glass 'which must not be spoken of'...the horrors first bought, the annoyingly chipped, the waterstained and the pieces which you liked once, but have outgrown.

It's very exclusive and expensive to join that club...welcome!   ;) ;) :-*

I am not a man

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 03:11:47 PM »
Hi Martin it happens , i have blamed the kids the dog and i dont have one blamed the cat and a couple of times in retrospect blamed myself 9 out of ten it has been me , not looked properly -too excited at my bargain washed it too hot or too cold , one piece i bought at dodgy auction i went over it with eye glass no damage got home washed it HEY PRESTO  large bruise after lots of thought i realised why they had put a rather large sticky lot number on it . Just smile and keep going. :hb2: :cheers:

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 06:01:52 PM »
thanks everyone  :hiclp:,

its only been a year since I started this in earnest. I will share 1 really stupid thing I did last year.
With the level of my knowledge now I'm fairly sure its an AVEM bowl, large weighs 5 or 6 lb's.
So it was mucky, I started washing it, 1 minute late "oops this is the hot tap", puts it straight under the cold tap, "CRACK".

I done some stupid things, but what an idiot  :hb2:.

1 good thing is I have started building my website,
martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand