No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Celery Vase ID needed  (Read 1018 times)

Offline wesley

• Members
Unusual Celery Vase ID needed
« on: September 02, 2008, 06:03:57 PM »
Hello,

I have this unusual vase - etched 'celery' on the front. With its lovely mix of colour yellow, pink and green, I am struggling to identify its age or maker. Measuring 6 inches in height, it has a ground pontil and wear to the base. The vase is smooth to the touch but is full with a mass of bubbles. 

Kind regards,

Wes

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Unusual Celery Vase ID needed
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »
Hi Wes,

This is most probably a Murano piece, a dish with similar decoration was discussed some time ago, see: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,13235.0.html though no definite conclusion was reached. I also have a dish with this technique of foamy glass overlaid with three colours but, to date, have found out little about it.

The etched 'Celery' mark on your piece may help date it. I believe the celery tax dodge mark is usually seen on 1940s to early 50s pieces.

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wesley

• Members
Re: Unusual Celery Vase ID needed
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 08:59:22 PM »
Thank you for your information Steven, it is much appreciated

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum