No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strathearn / Vasart cane's  (Read 1752 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
Strathearn / Vasart cane's
« on: September 03, 2008, 05:31:57 PM »
well these landed on my doorstep yesterday, good long pieces longest 2ft, i've convinced myself that there Strathearn / Vasart cane's, it's fully how you can tell a Strathearn / Vasart  weight's more easy than cane's alone, what do you lot think? the photo is just some of the cane's head on

click image

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Strathearn / Vasart cane's
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 09:16:40 PM »
Yesterday we had rain,
I got not a single cane.

:mrgreen:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 11:17:22 PM »
The canes shown are all fairly typical of ones seen in many Vasart and Strathearn weights. A particular feature is what I might call a "snowflake" cane - with three "points" to the end of each arm of an 8-point "star" or "daisy". That moulded shape is known (to me, at least!) to have been used at least as early as the 1940s period Vasart.

I don't know whether it was a deliberate thing, but in some cases, like the dark blue and white example top left of Ray's photo, the multiple "points" get distorted by a twist during the making. The effect can be rather pleasing when seen in detail, but may not have been intended. Another probalby unintentional effect is when the ends of that moulded shape are not as clear as they could be and it appears to be just a "ragged circle" - as in the central part of the cane bottom left of Ray's photo. [The photo needs to be zoomed in - by whatever process you have - to see these details.]

What do the other canes look like, Ray?
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 11:39:49 PM »
just these Kev

click image

cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:03:05 AM »
Yep - same thing. And I never have liked that use of pale pink over white against deep red - a bit garish for my taste!
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 10:33:50 AM »
just realized Kev,  if you look at the blue cane and some of the others there are air hole's or pockets, someone on here a while ago was asking about air bubbles around the cane's, now i think this has solved it, as you will know, as the glass it put on top it will trap the air and look like the bubbles are next to the cane's
cheers Ray

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »
I don't know whether it was a deliberate thing, but in some cases, like the dark blue and white example top left of Ray's photo, the multiple "points" get distorted by a twist during the making. The effect can be rather pleasing when seen in detail, but may not have been intended. Another probalby unintentional effect is when the ends of that moulded shape are not as clear as they could be and it appears to be just a "ragged circle" - as in the central part of the cane bottom left of Ray's photo.

I think this results from marvering at an interim stage, possibly after dipping in a mould somewhat like this but with a different configuration of teeth http://steinertindustries.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=24_44&products_id=75

then marvering and covering with another colour and going into something like one of these
http://steinertindustries.com/osc/index.php?cPath=24_43

It might have been deliberate in that if points that are too sharp may be difficult to overlay, but I haven't tried this, so I am really as much in the dark as you are!  :)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 02:21:00 AM »
Part of that is a result of how you encase the one color over another. If it is dipped in the pot or tank, it will normally have a chance to entrap more air than if you lay individual gathers over the color beneath it. You can also lay some of the color on by using very fine powders and layering multiple layers of it on in what is referred to as a powder booth. Good ventilation is required for doing this type of powder application. I've seen Jim Brown make many of his canes this way.  If you gather another color encasement from the furnace you have the chance for greater distortion. I hope some of that makes sense.
Tom Fuhrman
www.fuhrmanglass.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand