No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Scandinavian?  (Read 1758 times)

Offline wesley

• Members
Is this Scandinavian?
« on: September 04, 2008, 08:57:47 PM »
Hello,

Can anyone help me identify this small dish / ash tray measuring approx 4 inches across. Within the glass is what looks like a white net which makes me think it might be scandinavian.

It is unsigned, has a flat base and has a lot of wear indicating that it has some age to it.

Kind regards,

Wes

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
Re: Is this Scandinavian?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 05:32:09 AM »
I believe that the technique is called merletto - pieces seen are usually believed to by either by Harrtil (Harrachov ?) or Archimede Seguso. (the books often misattribute pieces between the two makers, so I'd caution against identifying the maker based on any one book).

bit more here   http://www.modernistglass.com/glasspieces/view/1932

taylog1

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 11:13:45 AM »
Hi,
This looks like the Harrachov version, known as Harrtil glass. Mostly designed by Milan Metelák, Maria Stáhlíková, and  Milena Velíšková for Harrachov. However some Harrtil glass is also thought to have been designed by Ludvika Smrčková for, and made by, the Chřlbská glassworks.
Harrtil is made using glass fibre material which is then cased in glass. Merletto is similar, but does not, as far as I can remember, use fabric in its manufacture.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
Here's the difference I've noticed - The Czech ones have a woven crosshatch look, while the Seguso's merletto pieces are more like threaded cords laid next to each other:

Shannon

Offline wesley

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 08:41:06 PM »
Thank you all for help identifying this piece.

I also look forward to getting my hands on your book Marcus!!

Wes

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 06:18:38 AM »
Just a note to add that it's same netting used in all Harrtil, at least all that I've seen, a three thread by three thread pattern, although one of the strands has the three filaments wound closely together.

When it's said that Metelak designed Harrtil, does that mean that he developed the mesh that went into the glass  or the glass as well? Also, did they all carry the Harrtil label? A couple of the Harrtil pieces I have seem quite stylistically different from the others. For example, I have three wine glasses (they have  mesh in the bowl) which are much lighter glass than the other pieces. Can Marcus give us a hint if he covers this in his book?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 07:16:05 AM »
Hi David,
Miloš Pulpitel developed the technique, from @ 1954-55. Milan Metelák, Maria Stáhlíková, and  Milena Velíšková designed items using this new technique.
Harrtil is not covered in the current book.
Regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand