No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a depression glass decanter ?  (Read 1891 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Is this a depression glass decanter ?
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 01:54:59 AM »
Credit crunch?  What credit crunch?  The American Way Glass Co.'s most fashionable new item is the Jussay charger.  And then there's the popular Costa mint dish.
 ;D

Pamela, yep, looks blown to me.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline popowich123

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 03:22:47 AM »
Hi
 I am located in Canada. Thanks Anne for tips on my clearing up my pictures.It is hard to get a pic of the bottom because of the design all over the bottle it distorts the look of it.The bottom is a circl with no markings. It curves inwards slightly. There is some air bubbles  in the glass. So it is looking like it might be a blown glass wine bottle or decanter, possibly. Thanks all for your input I do appreciate it.I love looking at everyones pictures and seeing hoe great everyone is at breaking down what it might be.Its very cool. Thanks Kim

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »
Decanter ?
No. I would say not. While historically not all decanters had stoppers, in modern times they are generally expected to and this, IMHO and as Christine suggests, looks to have been designed for a "wired-in cork". In  any case not designed for re-use and with a narrowing rim definitely not designed for decanting.

Size ?
You do not give it and it may be relevant. If oversized it may just be a fun decor item with no intended practical use. If a more modest/ medium size then may have been the container for a (probably) carbonated drink.

Blown ?
Yes but machine blown I would say. Look at the neck.

Colour
Looks like the pale green of window glass. Many drinks bottles are re-cycled these days but from window glass ? It can be misleading to read too much into glass colours for identification purposes... so possibly re-cycled.

Period
This is not of the Depression period IMHO but at least 3 decades later if not more.

Depression Glass
In UK we tend to use Art Deco, if of that style. If not then "art deco period" or  by decade (20s / 30's).  In conversation about the period, older people especially may refer to "the depression years" but "depression" is not used in glass or antiques generally as far as I know.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand