No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Barolac Glass  (Read 3281 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Barolac Glass
« on: September 06, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good resource for looking up and identifying pieces of Barolac glass?  Any help would ne appreciated. ;D
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Barolac Glass
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 01:36:48 PM »
Hello,

There doesn't appear to be a great deal of easily available resources for Barolac. Firstly I would suggest that you take a look at my collection here:  http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=144 It is by no means comprehensive but does illustrate some of the more frequently found patterns.

You could also try contacting Siegmar geiselberger of pressglas-korrespondenz.de as he has made available a 1949/52 Glassexport Barolac catalogue, an excerpt from which (in pdf format) can be seen here: http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/archiv/pdf/pk-2006-1w-01-mb-glassexport-barolac-1948.pdf

Other than that, you can always post pics here for ID. Also, don't forget to search the board for Barolac, there have been quite a few Barolac pieces discussed here in the past.

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »
Thanks so much Mosquito :-*.......I did look at all yours before I posted my question.....What a lovely collection, I would love to have some Opaline glass.........mine is nearly all green. :mrgreen:

Now, the Barolac catalogue, 4th page, bottom right picture of a rectangular dish with butterflies. That is the one I think I have.  I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, on another thread, that I had a lovely big butterfly dish. Well I think that is it!! :chky: I will take a photo tomorrow and post it here so you can all enjoy it.....it really is beautiful.
I used to think it might have beed Bagley, then I saw a vase with pansies pressed into the sides, and the quality looked like Barolac, so we eill see if when I post the picture, you agree.
Thanks so much for all that help........you are ace. 8)
Rosie.

Sklounion

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 03:01:13 PM »
Hi, Rosieposie,
 I also have Barolac catalogues which are reasonably comprehensive.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 03:26:45 PM »
Thank you Marcus, I will post a picture tomorrow, and then perhaps you can see if it listed as a photo rather than just a drawing...OK?
Rosie.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 09:19:37 PM »
Here are the pictures I promised.....I will post 4 here, and then make a gallery of all of them, so anybody who wants to see other views can do so......
Hope you like it, I think it is beautiful.  I understand it might have been desined by Jenkins??
Rosie.

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 08:21:04 AM »
Hi,
Whilst some of the sketches for Barolac production may have originated with Douglas Jenkins, it is almost certain that the final designs, and their application to particular forms, are the work of Rudolf Schrötter, Inwald's designer.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline sueglass

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »
Hi all, a little while ago I saw a boxed set of jug and glasses in an amber colour and am pretty sure the name on the box was Barolac would I be right? I was wondering whether to buy it and decided not to. Sue

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 05:15:21 PM »
Thanks for that Marcus. 
Do you have any links I can go to so that I can have a look at schrotters designs?
What has impressed me so much about this dish, and the reason I bought it, was because the pressing was so crisp and detailed.  Oh yes, and I just LOVE butterflies. :)
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand