No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Italian-style engraved vase  (Read 1112 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Italian-style engraved vase
« on: September 06, 2008, 07:20:34 PM »
This has me puzzled.  The folded foot, thin, light glass and unground pontil suggest Italian to me, but the Italians aren't known for their engraving.  This isn't a particularly finely engraved vase, but I don't have any Italian work to compare it to.  It could have been made elsewhere, of course - but where, and by whom?  Any ideas?  Vase is 8"/20 cm tall.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: Italian-style engraved vase
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 11:46:36 AM »
Hi Kristi,
Ive got a Carafe and 3 glasses to match, will get camera out later, had it ages, dont think ive
put it on here, i think its probably Bohemian, not as old as i first thought, maybe early 20th.
Cheers
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 02:49:19 PM »
Kristi,
photos. I think they are from the same stable, similar twisted stem to the glasses, no folded foot
like yours, my guess, is 1st half 20th Century repros of older styles, either Italian or Bohemian.
Maybe someone else has seen similar?

Cheers
Andy

"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 05:02:18 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos, Andy.  Certainly does seem to be the same style of engraving.  And your guesses about them are pretty much in line with mine.  I still wonder who might have made them.  Nothing about them seems particularly Bohemian to me, and if they're repros, what would they be copying?  Interesting to see other examples on different glass.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 12:04:50 PM »
I don't see any fine detail in either and the decor on both looks rather even and flat to me from the photos. I suspect sand blasted or possibly acid etched rather than engraved.
I don't think the patterns are copying anything in particular: just a general olde worlde style and just my ever so humble ....etc
Pete
Pete

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 08:06:17 PM »
These are definitely engraved.
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand