No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance Brothers information  (Read 9806 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Chance Brothers information
« on: August 24, 2005, 03:34:34 AM »
My niece Liz, who lives in New Invention (prefabricated metal chimneys for those puzzled by the unusual placename) in the Black Country, saved me a two-page article from the Express & Star, February 17, 2005, by Carl Chinn, a local historian, mainly on the subject of the Black Country's contribution to the building of the Crystal Palace in Hyde Park for the 1851 Great Exhibition.

Much is on Chance Brothers and the glass they made for the Crystal Palace in their Glass and Lighthouse Works at Smethwick.   Illustrations include two views of the works and a portrait of James Chance.

The author cites Chance Brothers & Co. Limited, 100 years of British Glass Making 1825–1924, Smethwick and Glasgow, Chance Brothers & Co., 1924.   This might be available via interlibrary loan through any UK public library, and Broadfield House probably have a copy in their library.

In a separate box is a note about the new Smethwick Heritage Centre, located on the High Street next to the Council House, and opened September 2004.   Displays include "a multitude of glassware manufactured at Chance Brothers glassworks".   Opening times are April to October Wednesday to Saturday 10 to 4, November to March Thursday to Saturday 10 to 3.   A review of this display would be appreciated.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 09:51:48 AM »
Bernard,

Welcome back, indeed and many thanks for this info.

Smethwick is just a few miles from where I live so I'd be rather embarrased if I couldn't make this! Not sure whether I have the expertise to review the display, but I'll take my camera anyway.

The Heritage Centre might also include Ruskin pottery perhaps, so another reason to have a look round. I'll have a poke around and see if I can find more local info. and will post here as necessary.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 10:23:22 AM »
Carl Chinn, a local historian

Bernard, I meant to say that Carl is a much published author on Birmingham and the Black Country history. He's actually a professor at Birmingham University (only 2 miles from me) and has a very disarming Brummie accent - Brummie and proud of it, or something like that. But I reckon privately he speaks "vaery porsh"  :lol:

If there's too much information on this subject I may just create a web page to cover the exhibition.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Web link
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 10:30:00 AM »
http://www.smethwick-heritage.co.uk/

Includes a little mention on "Chances Glassware" (sic)

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=402281&y=288208&z=0&sv=B66+3NJ&st=2&pc=B66+3NJ&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Spot the orange arrow for location. Use buttons to zoom in/out
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 11:41:26 AM »
As the Heritage Centre is right next to the Council House, there is a possibility it is sponsored or run by the council themselves. I'll let you know.

Edit: As it's run by a Trust, donations would obviously be gratefully received. I might also consider joining as a member:

http://www.smethwick-heritage.co.uk/canyou.asp
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 12:02:06 PM »
David?  If there's a book about Chance glass, or a leaflet or anything...lol....can you get it for me, and I'll pay you afterwards please?  Thanks.  :o)
I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 12:13:01 PM »
Hi Max,

No problem, I'll get whatever literature there is, but I'd be interested in a book myself as I have an unusual serviette holder in the Fiesta pattern. Never seen one before but I have a grudging respect for this glass even if it was cheaply mass-produced.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
Re: Chance Brothers information
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 07:38:02 AM »
Hi All

Quote from: "Bernard C"

The author cites Chance Brothers & Co. Limited, 100 years of British Glass Making 1825–1924, Smethwick and Glasgow, Chance Brothers & Co., 1924.   This might be available via interlibrary loan through any UK public library, and Broadfield House probably have a copy in their library.
Bernard C.  8)

If you cannot get this through inter-library loan, then there is a copy in the V&A art library.

Regards

Chris
from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Chance ? Design ID
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 09:21:33 AM »
Hello, a newbie to this forum.  I am posting a photo (I hope) of what I believe is a chance glass dish and matching tray.  Haven't seen one in this colourway before or with the intaglio design.  But I understand that Geoffrey Baxter for his degree show did some intaglio designs for Chance.Could this be one of them? If not any other info would be appreciated. 

http://tinypic.com/b53391.jpg

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 10:03:19 AM »
:D:D:D
Hello and Welcome!
I am positive that your handkerchief vase and tray are definitely Chance, and the more unusual top of the range stuff too! Congratulations! :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand