No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help me id this Archimede Seguso 1950s Murano Pulveri Bowl???  (Read 1823 times)

Offline THETHREELITTLEBEARS

• Members
Can you help id this bowl.Archimede Seguso 1950s Murano Pulveri Bowl??? :spls:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Please help me id this Archimede Seguso 1950s Murano Pulveri Bowl???
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 04:25:07 AM »
I don't recognize the bowl. The pictures make the bowl look like it was blown with gold, instead of having polveri. It is difficult to tell for sure from the pictures.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline THETHREELITTLEBEARS

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 05:05:35 AM »
The pattern is very similar to this vase.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 12:50:47 PM »
Your bowl looks a lot like the work of Archimede Seguso. They did many ribbed pieces with this type of rim. Your bowl reminds me of the basket that is on page 30 of Pina's Archimede Seguso. The color and ribbing are very nice. The bowls appear to have gold, but not polveri.

I have seen several pieces for sale lately that are described as polveri, but appear to be blown with gold foil or peppered with gold. This confuses me, because I am not sure I have a good grasp on the concept of polveri. Pina refers to the polveri A. Seguso pieces as sfumato in her book. My idea of polveri is that it is powder made from pulverizing materials such as colored glass. My idea of sfumato is that it is a way of shading colors together so that there are no distinct borders between the two colors. The polveri pieces I have seen by A. Seguso have all been sfumato (using my understood definition of the terms), using a combination of red, green, blue, and gold. I am not sure if the gold is polveri in these pieces. Maybe one of the people with experience in technique will know.

Anyway... my impression is that your bowl looks like it could have been made by A. Seguso, but that it is not polveri. It is a pretty bowl, whatever the technique.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand