No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Bohemian
« on: August 24, 2005, 09:28:25 AM »
Ha gottcha,
I assert this with conviction based on not a lot except trying hard!

http://tinypic.com/b3tvu9.jpg
It has a blown foot and flat ground top.

Whereas this one has a clear solid foot and rounded top.
http://tinypic.com/b3tvgk.jpg

Any teaching much appreciated.
Ruth

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Bohemian
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 09:51:06 AM »
OOOh I like it (#1) !
But not a clue ...which is maybe why I like it ...partly
What color is it inside ? White ? Yellow ?
Shape says 40s to me but color & decor style says 60's or later ...curious !

Do you feel there's a relationship between these two ...same maker ?
Did you buy them together ?
My instant reaction for this one was Carlo Moretti but this is more complex than his ...I think ...I will check my books later.

The don't look Bohemian to me ...more likely Italian or American / Australian Studio.  Canberra build up a repuation as a centre of exellence for Australian Studio glass but I don't know dates...will check with someone and ask her to look in.

Both are most likely mold blown after the color work was done. The different treatment of the rims may or may not be significant.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Bohemian
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 10:29:40 AM »
AAARRGH,

I am trying so hard to learn about glass so number one MUST be Bohemian!
It looks like tortoiseshell, the foot is blown but pushed up in the middle and the rim ground flat, which I understand to be a characteristic of Bohemian because it was easy, as opposed to British, where vases had rounded rims.

Number two is a different kettle of fish.
 It is cased and white inside, then coloured and then cased clear. With a nearly flat foot.

They were not bought together, I just bought and bought and bought for years.

I think that number two is better quality overall.

I'm  glad you like it, please let me know what books you use.
R

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Bohemian
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 12:31:33 PM »
I am trying so hard to learn about glass so number one MUST be Bohemian!

Ouch ! I submit ! ....If you say so Ruth !!!

the rim ground flat, which I understand to be a characteristic of Bohemian because it was easy, as opposed to British, where vases had rounded rims.

This is news to me .......could be correct for certain style and periods I guess but sounds like a dangerous assumption if taken too literally and applied too widely.
I don't think the Bohemian glassmasters did things because they were easy !!!  unless we are talikng only about long production runs for items made for the middle and lower end of the market ...perhaps.
Where did you get this info from Ruth ?

The layering of item 2 is quite easy to tell from the photo. It was the layering (inside color) of item #1 I was asking about.
Pete

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Bohemian
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 01:02:55 PM »
Your second piece is cased in clear glass which is why the base appears clear.

You cannot assume that cut and polished is easier, in fact it is another finishing step and adds to the production costs and requires additional skills. It is used by any glassworks to achieve a particular end result, regardless of the country of origin. Although you get some glassworks for whom cut an polished was the norm and others for whom the fire polished rim was the norm.

Finish is only part of the repertoire that is used to point to attribution and it is the combination of all the elements that gives attribution.

Design and unique techniques are the only way to attribute with any degree of certainty. However, particular glassmakers would tend to work in a particular way and would take their techniques from place to place and pass them on to their apprentices.

Copyists vary from those who make near perfect copies to those that copy the design but use their own technique. But a copyist is only a faker when they attempt to pass it off as made by the originator - if they sell it as there own work then they are making a tribute/homage to the originator. Of course the dealers can take the homage and turn it into a fake by attribution again :roll:

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Bohemian
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 07:26:50 PM »
I'm very sorry, I did not intend to sound rude and I must learn to use emoticons, then you can see when my tongue is in my cheek and not foot in mouth,[ hopefully]!

I appreciate the comments and will photo the inside of number one, which looks like the inside of the outside, rather like the back of patterned material.

And I'm sure the info came from Manley and I'll so photo and look it up over the weekend.

Ruth.

Offline David555

• Members
'VB Opaline Florence' is your second vase
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 11:50:54 PM »
I can help with your second vase - here is a link to same with label (I sold this on eBay) http://tinypic.com/b71kci.jpg - Opaline Florence and the letters VB which I am sure is the company but I have yet to source it - maybe someone in the Murano board can help - I am sure from other bits of VB I have had that your first bit is also VB Opaline Florence - I have no picture but it is their style - both bits are 1960s 70s
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Bohemian
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 06:37:05 AM »
I Vetrai di Borgonovo, I think, is the one who used the VB label in the 1960s. This Florentine (Empoli) production of light transparent colours onto an opal glass is a by-product of the lampshade industry and should be ranged under cheap, cheerful & unpretentious.

But there can be no relation to heavy eastblock lump that Peter just heaved onto the stage. With an opal inner, and a multi coloured pulled outer, and possibly even a clear outer on top of that. you can see how the whole thing becomes too heavy, and at 7 pounds is impossible to finish properly. The neck is sheared, unround and quickly smoothed over, and it isn't even close to the glassmaking standards @ Avem.  Have you noticed how we don't get to see the underside?

The dark red Bohemian vase from the 1930s, like the VB item, is quite lightweight, blown in a mould and cut off at the top. There is no finish of the rim, so there is no pontil mark, and Ruth is quite correct in her statement that this is widely regarded as a Bohemian characteristic.   You often find this glass type in rose bowl shape with a metal grid and there are hundreds of colour variations. I was always under the impression these were by Kralik - but there may have been several other manufacturers using these techniques.

:roll:

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Bohemian
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 06:54:51 AM »
Mea culpa, maximea culpa.
Not only did I bllx trying to apply wisdom from Manley 'Identifying glass by country' but looked and did not see.

Thank you David 555  for making the ID of number two, which makes it easy to research more about  and Frank for the explanation. [When I learn enough about websites to get a website under my own control, I hope you don't mind being mentioned] That's another topic!

Now further to number one, here are pics of the base and the inside,[ not that crash hot].  
On looking again I see the clear glass outside and a thin layer of coloured inside, with some areas of damage. It has been used for flowers probably.  

Base
http://tinypic.com/b7j1ow.jpg

Inside
http://tinypic.com/b7j29c.jpg

Ruth

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Bohemian
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 07:20:08 AM »
Mmmm, maybe Manley and I did not bllx too badly then.

Shame he is dead.

Cheers Ivo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand