No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chribska label - old or new?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Chribska label - old or new?
« on: September 09, 2008, 04:01:18 PM »
Could someone please advise as to the vintage of this label?  I think it's fairly recent, but it came on a Joseph Hospodka-designed vase with a lot of wear to the base.

Ta
Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Re: Chribska label - old or new?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 03:35:21 PM »
Chris
Unless Mark is doing it, I don't know of anyone actively researching Chribska per se. Just basic awareness that the factory even exists is extremely low, let alone anything else. Maybe a project for you ?

You could start by looking on Ebay and elsewhere for labelled examples like this gold one marked as Czech Republic dating it to post '93.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350078970897

Is your label indeed silver or just look like that due to the proximity of the flash ?
Is there a country name below the boat ?
Could we see a pic of your item ?
I'm also interested to know how you got the Hospodka attribution as designer. A book ref ?

I have one Chribska vase which is possibly labelled, I can't remember and can't seem to put my hands on it right now. It came in it's original box which has the same boat 1414 logo repeated on the lid. No indication of age. I believe that the logo was in use for many years.

Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 05:08:58 PM »
Hi,
A later label I think, as communist period, Czechoslovakia was marked on the label. The logo is still used, proudly, as this is the oldest glassworks in Bohemia/Czech Republic, to have remained in continuous production since it was founded.
 In the not too distant future, I am hoping to upload a 1991 catalogue of the production at that date, which contains many items from the communist era.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 05:55:52 PM »
Thanks, both.

Sorry, am away from home at the mo', so can't post any pics.

Yes my label is silver.  Nothing on it except the ship logo and HAND MADE GLASS CHRIBSKA.  No other labels or marks.

Maybe with the gold and silver we're talking firsts and seconds?  The vase looks immaculate to my eyes, but there could be something not quite as intended.

The vase is the spit of a piece that yelooc had on show at King's Lynn and was attributed to Hospodka as designer.  I picked it up at a car boot about 5 years ago.  It's hard to describe, but it's one of those 4-sided freeform vases with a narrow clear base, sort of rectangular, with tall, pointed short sides and shorter rounded, tongue-shaped long sides.  Purple and violet-blue with clear casing.

If I remember right, one of the older exhibition pieces had a gold label that said both Bohemia and Chribska, which was what made me think that this one is more recent.

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 06:24:36 PM »
It's a little like this one. Except imagine it more freeform, and with the sides that form the basket handle cut off just where the start to curve inwards.  Interesting that this one has the post 1993 version of the Bohemia Glassexport label.

http://tinyurl.com/59fyy2

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 10:08:38 AM »
Chris, your description was excellent. Normally when someone tries to describe a piece of glass to me my mind goes blank and I implore them to provide a pic. To be fair I have seen the model you are talking about many times but non the less I knew immediately which one it was.

Marcus, sorry I didn't know you had any particular interest in Chribska labels. The lack of country name on yours Chris is curious, perhaps for production destined within the EU in which case it's not needed.

Maybe with the gold and silver we're talking firsts and seconds?  The vase looks immaculate to my eyes, but there could be something not quite as intended.
I'd be wary of making that assumption. It could easily have other explanations.

The vase is the spit of a piece that yelooc had on show at King's Lynn and was attributed to Hospodka as designer. 
Who is yelooc ? The Hi Sklo Lo Sklo exhibition ?

To explain: I feel uncomfortable with the easy labelling of certain Chribska production items as Hospodka designs. As chief designer for, I believe, many years, it could be said that he was "responsible" for most if not all the designs, in which case singling out certain items as such is misleading. If, on the other hand, it is in the factory records that he is indeed specifically the designer of certain items, and not others, then fair enough. If he is credited as the designer of most Chribska production then the attribution is almost superfluous and doesn't carry the same kudos as the more distinctive designs by him or by other Czech designers.

I have not yet found any reference to any other designers who worked at the factory or who produced designs specifically for them. I would also be interested to learn about any input or influence the highly skilled glass masters had on new designs or adaptations of old ones. These hot worked items are by their very nature fluid, variable and non-standard. Standards of execution become almost as important as initial design. 

I have found a few highly distinctive designs which are quite different from normal Chribska production and which are reliably and justifiably attributed to Hospodka as designer. Sources are Czech Glass Review and CMoG. 

If I remember right, one of the older exhibition pieces had a gold label that said both Bohemia and Chribska, which was what made me think that this one is more recent.
I think you probably mean Czechoslovakia unless you are talking about a separate "Bohemia Glass" label.
Pete
Pete

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 11:01:12 AM »
Hi,
There are several other designers associated with this factory:
FrantiÅ¡ek Koudelka, Josef Starosta, Ludvika Smrčková and Ladislav Oliva.
Josef Starosta was responsible for ranges such as "Bratislava 79", "Dana", "Eva", "Hana", "Jana", "Květa" "Marie", "Moscow 80", "Opava" and "Věra".
It would be wrong to assume that Hospodka was the only major designer for the works, or that he was responsible for the bulk of designs between 1951 and his death in 1989. In fact for the period 1970- 1984, designs would have been much fewer, given his job as head of the glassmaking school in Kamenický Å enov. Glass Review celebrated his return to design for Chřibská, in 1986, after a long absence.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 11:30:48 PM »
 :mus: I wished to lift my hat Marcus, but there ís nothing like that on offer - Anne please: may we lift a hat or several hats? just for fun or acknowledgement sometimes ?
hugs as always
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 12:36:18 AM »
Let me see what I can find for you Pamela. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 02:54:07 PM »
Pete,

The label in question (I think) is in the Hi Sklo Lo Sklo book on p 140. It's gold, and has BOHEMIA in large font, with CZECHOSLOVAKIA HAND MADE in smaller font along with the ship.

Yes, that's the exhibition I meant.

There was a decent representation of Chribska, with half the pieces attributed to Hospodka and half generic.

Thanks for the designers, Marcus. 
There were some nice Oliva and Koudelka works at Kings Lynn, too, but not among the Chribska.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand