No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tapio Wirkkala vase - help with range/date  (Read 6572 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Tapio Wirkkala vase - help with range/date
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 06:34:24 PM »
I think you'll find it's genuine. It's handmade glass, which does vary slightly, from a time when nobody expected perfection. There are plenty of signed examples out there and it's not worth a great deal.

Look at this one on a Japanese (I think) site http://www.biotope.biz/02020700230/65/illustration/detail/

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 06:59:04 PM »
I would agree it's a factory signature, nothing looks wrong with the vase. I would guess that a faked signature would be much rarer than a genuine one (in this case and generally), the faked signatures I have seen have been easy to spot, usually the attempt is amateur.

John

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 07:34:55 PM »
Thanks Christine and John,

Oh that's good news ! The one in Japan has the exact same signature ! How on earth did you find it ?

I think I will stick with identifying  Whitefriars vases from now on  :ooh:

Thanks very much for helping me on this one ! Ta , Mike.
Mike

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 01:24:49 PM »
I'd like to add, for informational purposes, that the signature on my vase at the top of this thread was very different to the one just shown.  Mine was a very delicate looking script - it looked like a 'proper' signature done using a very fine point and was barely visible under the basewear.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand