No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ARABIA brand on glass  (Read 3403 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
ARABIA brand on glass
« on: August 24, 2005, 02:45:44 PM »
http://tinypic.com/b494qc.jpg

Does anyone know when Arabia used its brandname on glassware?  I know that since 2003 all Hackmann/ Iittala/ Arabia has been brought under the single Iittala brand.
But I just picked up 2 beer mugs with "Arabia made in Finland" moulded underneath. I also do not recognise the design, or even the style  :?

Offline tmaritta

• Members
ARABIA brand on glass
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 08:39:40 PM »
Hi,  Can't really give you a definite answer to that question.  However, I have two of the same beer mugs still at my mother's house that I bought sometimes towards end of 70's.  So that's at least how old your mug is.

Regards,
TMaritta

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
ARABIA brand on glass
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 11:32:57 PM »
Design is called Krouvi according to this site Ivo... http://www.ilmi-johanna.com/catalog/ic_krouvi.html ... it's also listed as such on Replacements.com:  Pattern: KROUVI by ARABIA CRYSTAL. Does that help at all?

Added info just found... this design is still on sale at Crate and Barrel at $3.95 each http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=160&f=14559
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
ARABIA brand on glass
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 03:21:16 AM »
Great-glassuk states that Arabia took over Nuutajarvi in 1971, and Kahula-Iittala took over in 1988. But when/whether they stopped using the brand is another question, as you know!

The brand name must have been phased in over some time, starting with glass export and then moving on to the whole production, according to the little insert I found with some bowls which came in the Nuutajarvi box, but with Arabia labels.

Here's the text, in case you're interested ('Scuse typos!):

The beginning of a new era. Our old mark with be changed into: (...there's a logo here, ed followed by the words) Arabia, Wartsila, Finland.

From now on, Notsjoe glassware will be called Arabia glass. For technical reasons, these glasses still carry the old (fish) symbol. The change of name will make our ever-growing exportation easier. We have already used the name Arabia for exports because it is a very well known name all over the world. Besides, Notsjoe is quite difficult a name to pronounce in many languages. That's why these glasses, too, are now Arabia glass. But as before, they are made at Notsjoe Glass.

Ivo, would a picture of the bowls, packaging & labels help to narrow down dates?

Does any of this help?

Cathy

I've edited this to take out the stuff you must know already, Ivo!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
ARABIA brand on glass
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 06:21:52 AM »
fabulous information, thank you all very much. I was of course confused because I thought it was Iittala under the Arabia name, I never suspected it dated from the Nuutajärvi takeover. Problem solved!  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand