No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frank Eisner  (Read 88203 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Frank Eisner
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 01:54:56 PM »
When you get to Radar book, the link should be to Jobling, Wear Glassworks, Sunderland as that was where he was in War years.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 03:46:30 PM »
A bit late with this, but I checked the book Radar some while ago and it had fascinating details and personal reminiscences about the development of radar equipment and its usage. But there was nothing that helped in connection with Eisner or any possible work that he may have been involved with.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 08:29:38 PM »
One more chip with thanks to Stan of Scotland...

I have in my collection of medals a British Empire Medal(BEM) awarded to Frank Eisner and he is gazetted in London Gazette as follows;

Frank Eisner, BEM LG 09 Jan 1946 Page 323 - listed as Glassblower. Lemington Glass Company.

At some point in the future I am hoping to have a look through the newspaper archives that may contain information of his award and hopefully a picture.I hope this is of some use to you.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 12:52:20 PM »
A Spitfire paperweight recently sold on eBay. It was signed by Frank and dated 1944 at Lemington. Totally different from the spitfire weight shown in the book Ysart Glass.

Sklounion

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 04:01:37 PM »
Frank,
I think it was yourself who sent me a link to the book on Robert Havel and Waterford.
I believe he is still alive, and as both he and Charles Bačik and indeed Eisner were all of Czech origin, it would make some sense if Eisner went to work there.
Worth an explore?
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 04:07:27 PM »
He was at Waterford in the 1950's. But exact dates are not known yet. Hoping that family records will be saving some time... have made a connection.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 11:34:08 AM »
Consolidating with current information
Eric Eisnerc1930 – 2006Chemist. Initially at Lemington Glass works starting as a laboratory assistent in 1943. Joined Moncrieff in 1953. Moncrieff’s factory Manager in 1962. Various posts up to Managing Director until taken over by British Optical in 1984. Then worked as a furniture dealer.
Frank Eisner BEMc1895-1905 – ?Father of Eric Eisner. British Empire Medal for glass tubing for radar in WWII while at Lemington Glass Company. Rumoured to have made weights at Moncrieff in the 1930s. But was working at Lemington c1930 to 1950, then Waterford, if at Moncrieffs in the 1950s is not known. Retired in the 1960s he did lay out weights on Saturdays with other glassworkers at Moncrieffs, most of these cracked as made from Monax or MS1 glass which was not suited to use with coloured glass.

I hope to confirm the missing dates with the family in the near future. If Frank Eisner weights were made with Soda-Lime then they are very unlikely to have been made at Moncrieff.

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 05:00:42 PM »

Dave M's commenyt about Frank Eisner also being at Waterford ties in with something else. I had already known for some time of a paperweight with very good etched details suggesting Frank Eisner worked for Waterford (but location may not have been the actual Irish place?) in the late 40s or early 50s.

kev ... is this the engraving your on about?

click image

cheers Ray

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 07:40:47 PM »
Fascinating Ray, I wonder who/what MC was! Does not tie in with names I recall at Waterford then - have to dig out the Havel book. At least the date ties in with research to date. Good to see things getting more detail, can you do a side and top view too please.

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »
it just measures just over 3" across and 2.5" high, the glass has a yellow tinge to it, not grey as the photo suggests, the engraving to me looks like it's been done with a copper wheel,

cheers Ray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand