No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars sheep paperweight  (Read 2173 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Whitefriars sheep paperweight
« on: September 13, 2008, 04:51:18 PM »

Now this paperweight is rare! Any bets on how much it will sell for?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
Re: Whitefriars sheep paperweight
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 06:35:05 PM »
Rare indeed - but you would have thought that in taking the pictures the seller would have at least one photo where the sheep was not upside down. It took me the longest time to visualize the silhouette.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 09:07:12 PM »
Hi,
I have just had a word with Ray Annenberg and he has given me his understanding of this weight.
It was not Baxter that made the comment about the poodle it was Ray !
Ray has sold 3 of these weights over the years and believes that there were about 10 made. Still a very rare weight and Brian Slingsby does have a cane with the improved sheep but no weights were ever made from this cane.
Regards, Patrick.

Here is a fused cane I have showing the Poodle sheep ! :) :) :)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 03:33:47 PM »
Hi Patrick

Fascinating...did Ray have all 10? I guess not, given the uncertainty on numbers.  Does he or anyone else know where the other examples went?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 04:16:53 PM »
Hi,
 He did tell me who he sold them to but I better not say just in case somebody gets upset. One was sold to Ann Metcalfe .
Ray will be at the Cambridge glass fair so I am sure he will be happy to tell all he knows.
Regards,
         Patrick.
Ps. The whole story is long and fasinating. When the factory closed there were about 100 uncut weights of various styles including Black swans etc. All 100 were then cut and offered to Ray who wanted to buy them all but his wife was worried at the time about him being redundant. Of the 10 or so Sheep he only bought 3 and a few other weights that he then sold. Last year Ray found another one in a local shop and sold that .

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »
Hi, Found this with sheep looking the other way and a date cane ............. http://www.justglass.co.uk/Gallery/Whitefriars/Sh.htm

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 01:13:38 PM »
I have a copy of this sheep weight and two other sheep canes. The second cane Ray made was of a white sheep with a black background and the third was the on PAtrick shows of the sheep on a green background. Unfortunately, time was running out and they had to get the 1980 Christmas weight out to the shops so a metal pattern plate was made of the Christmas Bell, which I also have, but the planned edition of 1000 copies was not completed as the factory closed and I think something like 278 copies werre made.
I also have most of the canes that Ray made that were never used in paperweights like the boat, Windsor Castle, bird on the nest etc
Dave

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 07:48:57 PM »
Hi Dave,
 Are you saying there were 278 of these Sheep weights made ?????????

Regards, Patrick.

EDIT:- It must be the Christmas Bell that you are referring to........  SORRY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand