No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help identify abstract glass figure  (Read 2424 times)

Offline chizach

• Members
Please help identify abstract glass figure
« on: August 27, 2005, 03:06:40 AM »
To the glass community--

Hello, my name is Leslie. I'm asking for help identify a very special glass figure. I have been allowed to borrow it for 2 days, but I have to give it back on Monday. This little figure means so much to me and I would love to acquire one for myself, but the gracious donor had no information to offer. It is a small blown glass abstract figure with outstretched arms with blue and striped internal decoration. It is approximately 5" tall by 3" at the widest width. It has an identifying mark etched in script which I can't quite make out. It looks like "sm02," but I'm not certain. I've included links to images of the figure and it's identifying mark below.

--abstract figure with outstretched arms
http://tinypic.com/b7dfh4.jpg

--etched identifying mark
http://tinypic.com/b7dg07.jpg

You can also email me at leslie@wholespace.com.
Thanks for your help, Leslie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 08:49:39 AM »
Hi Leslie

Cant help you out I'm afraid but can you provide a photograph of the base and also do you know where your friend purchased it from   ......sometimes these small details can help in trying to determine who made it and where.
 Regarding the mark I would think its the initials SM followed by 02 for the year,

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 02:54:40 PM »
Thanks Gareth for your response.

There is no base and my friend received it as a gift. If I knew where it was purchased that would be the best lead! I've tried googling "sm02" with blown glass and mostly get a lot of "part number sm02." Googling "sm" by itself mostly gets the abreviation for small. Also it's not completely clear that "sm02" is the mark.

I hope someone will recognize the mark or the style and offer up a lead.

Thanks!
Leslie

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 03:16:29 PM »
Leslie, the base is the bottom of the figure, not a separate stand-type base. By looking at the bottom of a piece we can sometimes tell you more about it... it will only not have one if it's a hollow figure, which this doesn't appear to be. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 03:57:06 PM »
Please can you post another picture of the signature?  I'm not convinced it's SM.  I think it's SN and then there's another letter there - either a lower case E or an L - which is partly covered by the 02.  

Leni
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand