No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: More on Prunts  (Read 3711 times)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
More on Prunts
« on: August 24, 2005, 11:16:26 PM »
One thing always seems to lead to another. I started a thread on prunts concerning a vase I have. Since then I purchased two what are called cocktail glasses in ruby with prunts.
http://tinypic.com/b4hsab.jpg  I did not know anything about them, but in trying to answer one of Peter's questions I discovered that they are Blenko and were designed in 1944. Now someone told me or I read it somewhere that this type of prunt is called Raspberry and the name is certainly appropriate. That got me to thinking if other prunts had names attached. I do have a murano pc with this type of prunt and also another murano pc with what looks like marbles stuck to the side. Would they be considered prunts also? I suddenly seem to have gone prunt mad. Terry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
More on Prunts
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 11:27:50 AM »
Terry
I had only ever seen reference to "rasberry" prunts until recently when I read a mention of just "berry" but no pic.

Marbles >  :shock:  really ? as big as that ?
Don't forget your Skrdloveice with disc prunts !!!

I have only 2 pieces with prunts which I have made-up names for!

This modern Czech ? Polish ? piece with "bobble" prunts

and this very special tankard with "nipple"  :shock: prunts

Here's a great pic of a rasberry prunt @ Great-glass

on a Bohemian (Harrach?) or English (Stuart or Webb?) powder bowl, circa 1920s .......
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/shops/shop5-2.htm
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
More on Prunts
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 07:43:22 PM »
Ah yes the Skrdlovice, how could I have forgotten that. Picture of that will follow. For now, here is the murano with the marbles attached, would they be considered prunts???? The piece is only 2 1/2 inches high, what we would call a toothpick holder for lack of something better.
http://tinypic.com/b5pa14.jpg The "marbles" contain gold dust which is hard to see in the photo. Terry  PS. just looked, guess the gold does show up.

Here is the Skrdlovice. It is 10 inches tall, 9 inches wide and the disks are apprx. 3 inches across each. The weight, 18 pounds. A massive piece.
http://tinypic.com/b5pdf6.jpg So I guess these would be disk prunts??? Terry

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
More on Prunts
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 08:56:08 PM »
Wow!  That's groovy glass Terry!  :shock:  :shock:  :D  Love it!

Peter, I think your bobbly conical vase might be Krosno.  My Mum has one the same (I am going from memory here) in clear glass with a label.   :D
I am not a man

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
More on Prunts
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 09:13:55 PM »
Krosno ...hmm wouldn't surprise me as it has lovely cristal clear base and nice quality finish as all Krosno seems to....but I've on;ly ever seen Krosno in clear and this has a very bright cheerful blue..
Can you check it out for me when you have a chance ? No hurry its not going anywhere. Thanks Max xx

Terry
Disc prunts would seem to be an apt name for those mini saucers !
But marble prunts I think could be confusing ...one might this marbelized or marbled ...but I'm not sure what to suggest ...I wonder if the Italians have a name for them ? Do you think its Murano ? I think I do...
time for drastic measures ...a look in my books ...eeeek !
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
More on Prunts
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 06:40:24 AM »
disc prunts have been spotted in the Danish glass book too - on a Per Lütken vase from 1942

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
More on Prunts
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 07:47:53 AM »
Peter, in answer to your question, yes I do believe it is Murano. In handling the piece one gets a sense that gold dust marbles were just pressed into the hot glass, of course I doubt that this was how it was done.
Ivo, I have to ask, what Danish book are you referring to. I am really lacking in books on Scandinavian glass. Terry

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
More on Prunts
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 08:40:09 AM »
Quote from: "glasswizard"

Ivo, I have to ask, what Danish book are you referring to. I am really lacking in books on Scandinavian glass. Terry

Erik Lassen & Mogens Schlüter: Dansk Glas 1925-1975, Nyt Nordisk Forlag Arnold Busck, Copenhagen 1975. It is a bit tiring as it is all in Danish.

Part 1 is called Dansk Glas 1825-1926 and was written by Alfred Larsen, Peter Riismoller and Mogens Schlüter - this deals more with tableware, barware, pharmacy glass and bottles. I find this one extremely useful for dating tableware styles

I think there is an updated version or reprint out, at least for part 2.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
More on prunts
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 04:55:35 PM »
Hi All,

Take a look at the thick book on Murano glass by Marc Heiremans (sorry no title, since I'm doing this from memory). You will see 'doughnut' shape prunts used by Ercole Barovier and 'disc' prunts used by Salviati. I'm sure there are more variations in there, but nothing else specific comes to mind I'm afraid.

Nigel

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
More on Prunts
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 08:40:44 PM »
Nigel, strangely I thought of Luciano Gaspari too when it came to prunts....probably because I have Glass of the 50's and 60's...it's so useful!   :D
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand