Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Unresolved Glass Queries

'Amberina'? vases

<< < (2/3) > >>

glasswizard:
Leni and Peter, Yes it does get very confusing. Particularly when in the link Peter shared they have pink to green and call it Rubina Verde by Hobbs. Well in all my research what Hobbs called Rubina Verde was ruby to yellow, no green or pink. I know Verde means Green, but maybe Hobbs back in the 1890s thought it sounded exotic. Now to me your vases appear Bohemian, just a gut feeling and of course the old standby, I know I have seen something similar, but can't remember where. Terry

Connie:
Terry - what reference are you using which defines Hobbs Rubina Verde as ruby to yellow?  That contradicts all the information I have read on those colors   :shock:

glasswizard:
Connie,  "Wheeling Glass  1829-1939  Collection of The Oglebay Institute Glass Museum" Authors Gary E. Baker, G.Eason Eige, Holly Hoover McCluskey, James S. Measell, Jane Shadel Spillman, Kenneth M. Wilson.
The colors shown Ruby Amber and  Rubina Verde both have very strong ruby tops and in the case of the Verde the base is canary or Vaseline if you will. I have had the Hobnail pitcher in the past. Terry

Leni:
Have just had another look at my 'Peacherina' vases and I am about to 'throw another spanner in the works'  :shock:

I was puzzled about the apparent 'optical effect' which made the base of the vases look amber, so I took a closer look - and I do believe there *is* a layer of the 'peach' glass cased over the green!   :oops:  :roll: http://tinypic.com/b566ur.jpg  http://tinypic.com/b5f79f.jpg

It is obviously very thin over the base, but thicker in the botom ribs.  So this isn't a heat sensitive coloured glass which has been 'struck' at all!  It's a plain and simple cased glass.    :oops:

Still would like to know who and when, though  :? I expect I shall have to be satisfied with 'Bohemian'  :twisted: :wink:

And I did so like the name 'Peacherina'  :(

Leni

Cathy B:

--- Quote from: Leni ---Still would like to know who and when, though  :? I expect I shall have to be satisfied with 'Bohemian'  :twisted: :wink:

And I did so like the name 'Peacherina'  :(

Leni
--- End quote ---

I was interested in the resemblence between your vase and the brochure page I posted earlier. I've got a rough date on it, but absolutely no clue who made them. Apart from, probably Bohemian.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version