No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Amberina'? vases  (Read 5777 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
'Amberina'? vases
« on: August 25, 2005, 12:24:17 PM »
I recently acquired a pair of ribbed vases which might be described as 'amberina' - although I'm wondering if that is a good description, following the recent thread on bi-colour glass :roll:  I'm about to start it all off again, because I am getting confused about how these vases might have been made, as well as being interested to find out when and by whom!  

Here's a picture of the vases: http://tinypic.com/b566ur.jpg  and the base: http://tinypic.com/b5f79f.jpg  and top: http://tinypic.com/b5f7mc.jpg
You will see that they appear to be mould-blown and the top has been cut, with each of the ribs individually cut away at an angle.  

I love the effect which makes it look as if the broader ribs at the bottom, which form sort of 'feet', are amber in colour.  As far as I can see, this is simply an optical effect caused by the ribs sort of 'drawing down' the colour from the top of the vases!   :shock:  I thought at first that they were green glass 'cased' in the peach colour, but now I think they must be  heat affected glass which has been 'struck' to produce the two-tone effect  :?  What do other people here think?

I was also surprised to see these vases on Tony Hayter's '1st Glass' website (picture copyright Tony)  http://tinypic.com/b5fb6p.jpg  where Tony describes them as "Pair of Amberina Glass Vases - English - Late 19th Century"   :shock:

To me, these look quite similar to mine, although the feet on the 1st Glass ones look like additions after the vases were blown and the colour may be slightly more 'rosy-pink'.  Does anyone else here think they look similar?  

I am confused, because I must admit that before I saw these on Tony's site I had thought mine were later - sort of 1930's - because the peachy-pink tops are a very similar colour to my peachy-pink pressed glass bowls :oops:  :roll:  

Any ideas?

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
'Amberina'? vases
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 01:18:56 PM »
Leni, My iunderstanding of amberina and other ~ina colors is this :
A single gather of colored glass
with no other colors added
which shows (strikes) one color on initial heating
and fades (re-strikes) into different color(s) on those parts of the glass which are re-heated at certain controlled temperatures.

Hence
Amberina: Yellow ...to amber
Rubina : Clear and/or yellow fading to cranberry then ruby
Rubina Verde : Green to Ruby
Bluerina : amber to blue
Fucsia Amberina : Amber to cranberry to blue
There are variations and other internediate shades may show in the transition as well as deeper shapes at the rim (and/or sometimes base). Corrections and clarifications greatfully recieved.

For further info and discussion about this sometimes complex technique  see Terrys topics
Bluerina or Blue Amberina
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,563.0.html
Bluerina Revisited
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1247.0.html
........among others

I would say from this that the correct name for Tony Hayter's piece and yours is Rubina Verde. It would seem that these terms are often used mistakenly, incorrectly and innaccurately.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
'Amberina'? vases
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 01:42:37 PM »
Gosh, Peter!  I knew I was opening a can'o'worms again!  :oops:  :roll:

I took the name 'Amberina' from Tony Hayter's vases - I completely forgot the previous discussion about the Rubina Verde etc. colours!   :oops:

So what would you call these?  Do they qualify as 'Rubina Verde'?  They really aren't what you could call ruby glass at all - although Tony's may be slightly more ruby coloured.  Mine are definitely that peachy-pink of '30's pressed glass!  :shock: So is there a green glass which 'strikes' to that shade when re-heated?   :?  And if not, just how were these two-tone vases produced?    :shock:

I'm really confused now!   :roll:

Leni
Leni

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
'Amberina'? vases
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 03:34:01 PM »
Sorry, yes yours are very pale....and more of a peachy amber
...but as the transition / fading is very gradual in the upper part I think it still counts
...and until someone invents a name for this particular color combination I think Rubina Verde will have to do.
Peacherina Verde perhaps ?

Incidentally the shape of yours strikes me as Bohemian....a very interesting and desirable pair.

Here are 3 green to peach pieces
http://tinyurl.com/76z83
all attributed to Hobbs Brockunier so maybe I'm wrong about Bohemian
Pete

Offline Leni

• Members
'Amberina'? vases
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 05:50:49 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
Peacherina Verde perhaps ?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: I love that, Peter!   :D I'll call them my 'Peacherina Verde' vases from now on  :D

But if they're the same make as those you showed, that would indicate they were much earlier than I had thought  :shock:  :?

Still puzzled;

Leni
Leni

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
'Amberina'? vases
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 09:54:05 AM »
Leni and Peter, Yes it does get very confusing. Particularly when in the link Peter shared they have pink to green and call it Rubina Verde by Hobbs. Well in all my research what Hobbs called Rubina Verde was ruby to yellow, no green or pink. I know Verde means Green, but maybe Hobbs back in the 1890s thought it sounded exotic. Now to me your vases appear Bohemian, just a gut feeling and of course the old standby, I know I have seen something similar, but can't remember where. Terry

Connie

'Amberina'? vases
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 09:59:15 AM »
Terry - what reference are you using which defines Hobbs Rubina Verde as ruby to yellow?  That contradicts all the information I have read on those colors   :shock:

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
'Amberina'? vases
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 10:10:10 AM »
Connie,  "Wheeling Glass  1829-1939  Collection of The Oglebay Institute Glass Museum" Authors Gary E. Baker, G.Eason Eige, Holly Hoover McCluskey, James S. Measell, Jane Shadel Spillman, Kenneth M. Wilson.
The colors shown Ruby Amber and  Rubina Verde both have very strong ruby tops and in the case of the Verde the base is canary or Vaseline if you will. I have had the Hobnail pitcher in the past. Terry

Offline Leni

• Members
Not 'Peacherina' then?
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 11:32:05 AM »
Have just had another look at my 'Peacherina' vases and I am about to 'throw another spanner in the works'  :shock:

I was puzzled about the apparent 'optical effect' which made the base of the vases look amber, so I took a closer look - and I do believe there *is* a layer of the 'peach' glass cased over the green!   :oops:  :roll: http://tinypic.com/b566ur.jpg  http://tinypic.com/b5f79f.jpg

It is obviously very thin over the base, but thicker in the botom ribs.  So this isn't a heat sensitive coloured glass which has been 'struck' at all!  It's a plain and simple cased glass.    :oops:

Still would like to know who and when, though  :? I expect I shall have to be satisfied with 'Bohemian'  :twisted: :wink:

And I did so like the name 'Peacherina'  :(

Leni
Leni

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Not 'Peacherina' then?
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 12:01:37 PM »
Quote from: Leni
Still would like to know who and when, though  :? I expect I shall have to be satisfied with 'Bohemian'  :twisted: :wink:

And I did so like the name 'Peacherina'  :(

Leni

I was interested in the resemblence between your vase and the brochure page I posted earlier. I've got a rough date on it, but absolutely no clue who made them. Apart from, probably Bohemian.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand