No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "The Waterfall" by Kny, info required please  (Read 5742 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: "The Waterfall" by Kny, info required please
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 04:31:51 AM »
Lovely vase!  Beautifully engraved.  Ditto all that Kev said, it's just what I was going to say.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the board!  Thanks for sharing your photos.  Engraved glass is my (main) passion.  Got any more?  ;);D
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »
Erik — See Benson & Hayhurst, Art Deco to Post Modernism — A Legacy of British Art Deco Glass, 2003, items 36 (11¼" fish vase, slightly different fish) and 40 (9¼" similar fish bowl).

Nigel Benson was aware of your source, two others, and the Stuart pattern book entry, when he wrote the description, and, although his work can be a trifle disorganised, he would have picked up on a name like The Waterfall, so please would you double check your information.   Nigel notes that few examples are known, probably as it would have been prohibitively expensive to produce.   He dates it from the late '30s to the mid-60s.

Ludwig Kny was chief designer at Stuart when this pattern was launched, until his untimely demise in 1936.   So he would have been involved with this vase, but not necessarily as the engraver.   Nigel would have mentioned it if he had been able to prove that early examples were Kny's own engraving.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright 200415 Bernard Cavalot

Offline citrusheightskid

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 06:31:56 PM »
The name "The Waterfall" was the name given by my grandmother. It's been in her possession since the 1950's. The vase was found in an underground safe of a house that had burnt down. The owner's last name was Masters.

The story goes that when my grandmother was younger, the Lady Master's house had burnt down. Ms Masters said that anything recovered from the fire, could be kept. So my great grandfather had found the vase in a safe under the house. He snagged it, not knowing any true information about it. So we don't know if it's a one of a kind, we don't know if it's a production piece. The only information we've found about it was from that book.

I'm thankful for all the help you guys have given. It's just one of those things that we're trying to figure out.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 02:48:52 AM »
What an interesting history it has!  How fortunate it was kept in a safe.

It does appear to be a production piece, and not the same Waterfall vase that was done by Frederick Kny.  As Kev pointed out, Guttery noted that one was in possession of Amblecote when the book was written in the 1950s, and it sounds like a one-off piece.  I wonder if it was sheer coincidence that your grandmother called this one Waterfall as well.  How confusing!

I found another example of the design in a photo about 3/4 of the way down this page:
http://www.20thcentury-glass.com/exhibitions/exhibition-cutglass.htm

By the way, how big is it?

Did you notice that Guttery shows on pg. 111 the other F Kny piece mentioned in the same sentence as Waterfall, Hunting the Eagle?  Makes you wonder what Waterfall looks like!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 03:45:43 AM »
Erik — I've checked your recent photographs against item 36 in Benson & Hayhurst, and I was wrong above — it is the same, allowing for the usual minor variations of a handmade piece of art.   So, if your vase is reasonably close to a height of 11¼", then it's Stuart pattern number (from their 1964 trade catalogue) is 27829.   This looks like a late 1930s pattern number to me, which indicates that the design should be attributed to Ludwig Kny's successor as chief designer, Reginald Pierce, and his team.

Kristi — On that web page note how Nigel also illustrates the same thick blank used for a rare deeply cut geometric piece in Art Deco style, featuring the classic Ludwig Kny intaglio outlining of the main cuts.

Nigel's very useful book is available via his website.   I have no hesitation in recommending it as an important reference to a mid C20 movement away from the classic British "Death by a thousand cuts" style.   Don't expect perfection;  Nigel was breaking new ground here, so keep a sharpened pencil with it for inserting corrections and marginal notes.   My two copies (travelling box plus library) have recouped the initial investment over ten-fold, and I must remember to buy another before it goes out of print, as it is one of those books that I will eventually wear out.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright 200415 Bernard Cavalot

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 03:15:11 PM »
Bernard,

Thank you for your kind comments about the catalogue that Jeanette Hayhurst and I produced for the exhibition of cut glass that we undertook in 2003. I also note your comments regarding corrections and would be very interested to liaise about your thoughts and notes as I am always happy to learn  :)

As for your comments about the design being by Pierce and not Kny since the pattern number is late 1930’s, that is a difficult one.

There is a typed page in the Broadfield House Glass Museum archive which references the Redhouse Museum Catalogue and “Cut Fancies”. Pattern number 27207 is listed as being C1936 (27185 being 1935 – no ‘circa’) and pattern number 28008 is 1937, again, no ‘circa’.

We therefore have a problem with the dating of the Fish vase with great accuracy, but it does indicate that it is possible either designer might be credited with the vase. However, since Pierce took over the role of chief designer in 1937 I would suggest that Kny is the more likely of the two. It all depends on when in 1937 the 28008 pattern number was used.

The other vase you refer to (cat no 39), using the same blank, uses outline cutting similar to item 14 in the catalogue. Under that reference Jeanette notes that outlined cutting first appeared in Job Book no. 1236, for late 1934. This has always been referred to as a Ludwig Kny trait and certainly that deeply swirling cut with outline cutting (also on the front cover) conforms to that attribution. Note that the technique was also used by John Luxton on occasion.

There is another design, using a version of the blank, illustrated in “20th Century Factory Glass”, by L Jackson, on page 201. The caption says attributed to Ludwig Kny, but I also have one of these vases which is acid marked with Stuart, as well as “Designed L Kny”. Note the outlined mitre cutting around the design below the rim.

It is probable that all these large vases were made to order, or in the Jackson versions case, are from an exhibition, such as Harrods “Modern Art for the Table” or “Art in Industry”, held at the Royal Academy. Alternatively, the fish vase might have been used as a window piece at somewhere like Harrods (certainly this was done later with Isle of Wight glass and the two large Jazz pattern vases by Timothy Harris).

Finally, I am not currently aware of a factory given name for the fish vase, nor am I aware that Kny produced his own cutting or engraving. Current knowledge says the he was only a designer and did not execute his own work.

Nigel   

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 03:18:55 PM »
Erik

Just noticed. No, it is not a one-off, I know of several other versions.

Nigel

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 04:25:28 PM »
Here's another example of the Stuarts fish vase ... sold in 1993 ...
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pid=10864&fullsize=1

The auction description for Lot 659 (Day 2 of the sale) was:
STUARTS clear glass tapering cylindrical vase, on circular foot, body externally engraved with three fish in simulated water (trademark to base), 11.5" high x 7" diameter (Plate XVI).
(The dimensions in metric would be 28cm x 17.8cm)

I had that one marked down as a possible purchase but I did not bid on it. It sold for £390 hammer price and there was 10% Buyer's Premium + 17.5% VAT on the Premium giving a total cost of £435.82. How that 1993 price would compare to today's market is unknown to me.

I found that image by chance while I was looking for something else. But my memory was stirred because on the right of my picture is Lot 661 - a Lalique Vase, which I bought. A few weeks after the auction I visited the Victoria & Albert Museum in London and in the gift shop I saw ... a few of the same Lalique vases in their gift boxes ... and at a price less than I had paid at the auction. Ooops :spls: I still have the vase and I smile whenever I look at it!
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand