No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anzolo Fuga Vase (Maybe)  (Read 1810 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Anzolo Fuga Vase (Maybe)
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:01:05 AM »
I believe this to be an Anzolo Fuga vase.  Although the exact form isn't included in Rosa Barovier's book, it bears many stylistic similarities.  (I didn't photograph bottom, but it has a rough pontil.)  Hopefully the photos capture the off-kilter, asymmetrical "hunchbacked" shape.  Any thoughts from the experts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Charles.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Anzolo Fuga Vase (Maybe)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:16:52 AM »
I am a huge Fuga fan. I am having a hard time discovering his style in your vase. I would be reluctant to attach a Fuga to it without more proof.

Sorry for the discouragement,
Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »
Here are a few more views.  One helpful fact, I suppose, is that it is not signed (!)  If it's not obvious from the pix, the piece has an iridescent surface, Fuga-esque murrine blobs and vertical yellow rods.  Taken all together it makes me think that if not Fuga, then one of the other experimental Murano artists working in the 1950s and 1960s (Marten, Gaspari, Radi, etc.).  Hope springs eternal.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 07:04:16 AM »
The closest Fuga that I can see to this on p. 140 of Barovier Mentasi. I can see the points of similarity but it still looks a little under-decorated. But then, I confess that I can't see the "yellow rods" that you mention. Is the finish on the bottom of yours similar the one on p. 140, as that might be a clue? I've seen some similar vases on the net recently, but I can't immediately put my mouse on them. I'm trying to decide how much of a chance I would take on it being Fuga. I think it would have to be fairly cheap, under $200, but, then again, that says more about me.

Good luck.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 03:00:24 PM »
What I call rods (canes?) are the yellow vertical lines in the pix.  I think that's what they are, in part because what I've described as murrines are as undefined and blob-like as those pictured in pieces from the Barovier book, as opposed to (say) those bright and clearly defined ones you'd see in a vintage Murano paperweight.  A close up examination shows them to be melted into the texture of vase, rather than blended/blown into it.  I'm very comfortable saying that this not a recent Asian piece, but if it isn't the "real thing" (vintage Murano), the best non-Murano candidate would be U.S. studio glass inspired by Murano.  I'm concerned that the bottom is not polished.  However, what's clear from Fuga pieces in the Barovier book and other resources is that they, as with my piece, have a rough, broken off pontil that is, frankly, uncharacteristic of 1950s/1960s Murano glass produced by designers other than Fuga.  (The broken pontil, I believe, is much more common to earlier 20th Century Murano glass).  Minor imperfections in the glass don't concern me because, again, they're visible in Fuga pieces.  Finally, the subtle iridescent overlay, gauzy yellow color and abstract, albeit not quite "over the top" form, lead me to think it's a good quality vase and not a piece of junk.  Then again, I don't pretend to be an expert.
Charles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand