Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Need help on this Bohemian Cut Vase

(1/3) > >>

Nancy128:
I know I should know who might have made this type of glass.  It's Blue, white opaqued cased over clear and is cut.  It did have gold paint inside the cut squares but has worn off.  I was thinking that it might be Otto Prutscher's design, but I need some help.  The only other thing is that on the base rim there are roman numerals that are cut "VIII".  It's about 6 inches tall.  Thank you for helping!!

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10865

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10866

Sklounion:
Hi Nancy,
If Otto Prutscher, then I would be expecting that Lobmeyer would be a serious possibility for the manufacture. Not really what I would expect from Loetz, but some of the better Haida refiners would also be candidates.
Regards,
Marcus

Nancy128:
Thanks Marcus, I'll start looking in that direction.  I doubt that it's Lobmeyer, wouldn't it be marked? 

krsilber:
You're right that most Lobmeyr was signed after 1870, but not all of it, and if it was signed in gilt it could have worn off.  However this doesn't really look like Lobmeyr to me. 

Marcus, have you seen Lobmeyr in this style?   I agree that Haida is a possibility, but the gold I would think makes it less likely, no?

Nancy, how did you come to think it might be Prutscher?

I find this kind of cut-to-clear work hard to pin down.  It was done in America, France and England as well as in Bohemia, where it continues to be made.  I'm sure there's variation by date and region, but there was also overlap.  The gold is a clue; can you tell if there was any design to it, or was it just gold lines bordering the windows?

It looks like the surface it a bit mottled, kind of like it was acid polished.  Is that true?  Is it inside or outside?

Nancy128:
Kristi, I was going through the Soethby's archives yesterday and I came across a beautiful goblet that had the same pattern and Prutscher was the designer, that's how I came up with his name.  I just know I've seen this type of glass before, just don't remember where.  :-\

There is no other design in gold other than the gold borders.

I don't believe this was acid polished, Kristi.  And the mottled look could be the condensation in the interior from me cleaning it and it had just not dried before I took photos. 

Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version