No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flanged Vase  (Read 4892 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Flanged Vase
« on: August 27, 2005, 12:27:29 AM »
Just bought this vase and I am sure I have seen the shape somwhere before - can't pin it down - very distinctive - can anyone help - heavy cased and 10.5" tall - link - http://tinypic.com/b7atee.jpg - it has a Whitefriars look but it's not - base is ground but the rim is 'formed' and left rounded by maker
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Flanged Vase
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 07:34:44 AM »
Can't help you on this, but I like it. Terry

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Flanged Vase
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 07:39:55 AM »
:idea:  Also available in Neodymium glass, from Zbs Glass, Zeleznobrodské Sklo   :idea:

Offline David555

• Members
Flanged Vase
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 01:05:53 AM »
Thanks - I get Zelezny Brod Glass (ZBS) - Czech also made in Neodymium glass - which is like incandescant (glow in dark) - have lots of that incandescant glass and know the czech makers were masters - wow to think that such a heavy piece was treated in this way - I would love to collect a bit like that - I get designers from that factory (many small studios) as Pavel Hlava, S Libensky, J Tockstien - my millers fact file says they never signed - any idea what the vase is called and who designed it - also I know it's 60's - 70's but can that be confirmed - any other pics would be great - any idea of value (gulp - but has to be asked eh LOL)
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Flanged Vase
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 01:08:51 AM »
David55 said:
 Czech also made in Neodymium glass - which is like incandescant (glow in dark)

Erm...I don't think Neodymium glass glows in the dark...  In my experience it's a pale lilac colour that simply changes hue to a greyish colour in different lighting situations.  I think the piece I have is Murano...
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
Flanged Vase
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 01:51:45 AM »
:oops: Yeah - I take the glow in dark bit back - I misread the following article - you are right and as the author goes on to say it is lavender that changes colour - it's like an early dichroic glass - first discovered in 1885 and patented by Moser and then used by a lot of companies including ZBS – it is rarer than iridescent or ‘Uranium‘ glass

"Do you have any of that glass which looks lavender in daylight or in incandescent light and then turns to a pale blue colour in fluorescent lighting, and it is or was referred to as Alexandrit or Alexandrite by Moser Glassworks; as Wisteria by The Fostoria Glass Company; as Twilight (but not Twilite nor Wistaria) by Tiffin Glass Company and as Dawn, if made by Tiffin in Duncan & Miller molds  but not Dawn, which is grey, if made by A. H. Heisey & Company, but instead as Alexandrite by Heisey ; as Wisteria by Steuben Glass Works; as Heatherbloom by The Cambridge Glass Company, but not all Heatherbloom; as Neo-Blue or Neodymium glass by Lotton Art Glass; as Alexandrite by Morgantown Glass Works; as Wisteria by Fenton Art Glass Company, but only that made in 1977 and 1978; as Alexandrite by Boyd`s Crystal Art Glass; as Pink Luxodine or Luxodin by  the Czech glass company of ZBS (Zeleznobrodske Sklo A. S.)" - author Judith Van Buskirk-Gugudan  :D

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Flanged Vase
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 11:56:11 AM »
There's a rather nice example of a Neodymium vase under three different lighting conditions in a post by DenCill here on the board: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1838.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David555

• Members
Flanged Vase
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 10:26:06 PM »
I just tested my vase under strong LED light and it turns pink - like sommerso at first - I have not tried it under UV - I wonder if it is Neodymium or just wierd?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Flanged Vase
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 10:33:16 PM »
One of mine does that.  Perhaps it's another rare earth in the mix.
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand