No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What is this Bischoff glass piece?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline mystic_unicorn

• Members
What is this Bischoff glass piece?
« on: October 02, 2008, 06:50:52 AM »
Hi everyone.  I purchased this piece at an auction and when I got it home I realized it was a Bischoff Glass piece.  The foil label says "by Bischoff Glass" and it looks like it might have a person standing to the left of the words maybe?  My camera won't take a good picture of it or I would include it.  My husband thinks it's a candleholder and that the glass stopper doesn't go with it (it doesn't fit snugly like you think it should).  I think it is a perfume bottle.  I have tried researching this online but I must not be looking in the right places.  If anyone can give me some ideas on where to look or can tell me what it is and what it's worth possibly, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Lora

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: What is this Bischoff glass piece?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:40:57 AM »
Probably the US company, but there was also a German company, picture of label may help. Just to confuse things, there was also a liquor company. Top looks definitely off, could be a perfume, ink, fancy liquor or vase - candle unlikely. Is the interior of the neck ground at all?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 02:53:13 PM »

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »
It looks like a small Bischoff vase with a unmatching stopper stuck in its mouth. Some people do this, maybe to increase the value of the piece or just because they have a stopper setting around. Does the vase look like it was made for a stopper?

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 08:46:08 PM »
How tall is your Bischoff? There is a similar shaped vessel at http://www.rubylane.com/shops/eyesnglas/item/1880, but I don't know if it anywhere near the same size. After checking the link Sue C provided, I wondered if the stopper may be original to your glass. It may just be the angle of the picture that makes it look unusual to me.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline mystic_unicorn

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 01:01:34 AM »
The interior of the neck is not ground.  That's probably why the stopper doesn't fit as well as it should.  I tried to get a better picture of the label, but everything I tried only made a glare on it.  The link that Sue provided had a section on the different Bischoff lables and the second one down is exactly like the one on my glass (except the one on my glass the black has worn off)  http://www.blenkocollectors.com/blenkocollothersstickers.htm (this is the direct link to it).
My glass is approximately 3 inches tall without the stopper.  The one on the link that TxSilver provided is close, but much taller than mine.  I have looked through tons of online pictures and have yet to find one exactly like mine.  The only one that comes close is on the link TxSilver provided.  I appreciate all the help that I have received.

Lora 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand