No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with identifying label please = Plum Blossom Glass  (Read 5116 times)

bubblebud

Help with identifying label please = Plum Blossom Glass
« on: May 23, 2005, 10:18:58 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I am hoping that someone can shed some light on this label please.  It is round in shape with a black background and gold lettering "PBG MADE IN CHINA".  It has a stylised flower over the letter B.  Any help with identification  will be gratefully received!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Help with identifying label please
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 12:35:23 AM »
Frantic Polisher said:
It's Chinese & made by 'PBG'

But ... is it known that "PBG" actually is a glass making company? And is it known whether the company is in China? If so, do we know the location (China is an awfully large place) and do we have any information on how long the company has been operating?

Or is "PBG" perhaps an exporter in China or an importer in some other country? What do we actually know for sure about labels that give a "name" and "Made in XYZ"?
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 03:14:20 PM »
Thee are a lot of glassworks in China but a lot of the exporting is handled by trading companies so direct links to glassworks are not always achievable.

With the sheer volume of glass coming from there now, hopefully someone will spend a few years documenting them. :?

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 07:38:35 PM »
Hi bubblebud
Have you seen an artical on Chinese reprodutions by Angela
your piece may be from the same company.

http://www.glass.co.nz/Chinese.html

Tony H

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 08:53:16 PM »
So is it Plum Blossom Glassworks :P

bubblebud

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 10:10:44 AM »
Well Tony and Frank, looks like you could be correct, the stylised flower appears very very similar to the one on the label. It would make sense as these vases were made in the 60s and 70s. Fantastic! does anyone know if they are still around? :)  :o
I like to be totally sure of my information before I put it on my website.

If anyone is intersested feel free to take a look. www.glassbudvases.co.uk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand