No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery opalescent pressed glass vase-Victorian or Deco?  (Read 909 times)

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Mystery opalescent pressed glass vase-Victorian or Deco?
« on: October 05, 2008, 09:53:31 AM »
Hi all! :)
It's been a while for me, I haven't bought any glass at all for 6 months but succumbed at last today when I saw this rather unusual and attractive opalescent pressed glass vase.
The colour is very reminiscent of Burtles & Tate items that I own, but I have never seen another like it. The seller thought it was Art Deco, but to me it looks Victorian, the stylised Japanese design very much like some Aesthetic movement designs I have seen on other items. It features gilding and also on the front of the vase is an raised area of enamelled decoration that look like a seal or stamp. The pressed design is of cherry blossom, a fan, & stylised Japanese lettering.
The vase is 20.5 cm tall, the rectangular top is 10.5 x 6.5 cm & the base is 10.5 x 8.5 cm. The vase is in perfect condition, no chips or cracks.
Any clues as to age, maker, country of origin?
Cheers! :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Mystery opalescent pressed glass vase-Victorian or Deco?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 05:32:54 PM »
Interesting piece, but I find it kind of hard to see.  It would help if they were larger, and it looks like you need more light, which might help sharpen the image as well as make it more visible.  Was the raised design once entirely gilt or enameled, and it has just worn away to the edges?  And where are the stylized Japanese letters?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 07:40:31 AM »
I have taken some more photos, this time outdoors. I have also sharpened them. However, I think the size is correct as I believe that we are not supposed to post really big photos, I have looked at other members photos posted recently & they are typically smaller in size than mine.
The gilding is around most of the raised, relief style decoration. It is a little worn in some parts but generally intact, to me it looks like it was always around the edges, rather than totally covering the raised designs. The designs at the sides of the vase do not have any gilded highlights at all.
The overall look of the vase is Japanese, but I'm not claiming that it is Japanese, my guess is one of the major English makers c.1880-1890, the style is reminiscent of the Aesthetic movement which was strongly influenced by Japanese art. The patterning around the top rim of the vase looks to be loosely modelled on Oriental style characters, but not actually depicting any form of real script. (I have learned a small amount of Japanese characters & would recognise them if I saw them.)
It's such a distinctive design, surely someone can recognise it?
Photos will follow in my next post.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:50:50 AM »
I hope these photos show more details.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »
More photos....
Marinka.
More glass than class!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand