No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Princess - what type and what year - help please  (Read 3712 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Holmegaard Princess - what type and what year - help please
« on: January 22, 2011, 01:34:04 AM »
Hi - just bought these two gorgeous ice blue Princess glasses. Both signed to base HG x . larger HG and small x - see photos

Can anyone help with year of manufacture as I believe that is what the x denotes.

Also, even after looking at lots of pictures I am not completely sure whether they are liquor cocktail or champagne glasses. Dimensions are
height 10cm (approx 4 inches)
diameter of bowl 9.25cm (approx 3.75 inches )
diameter of base 3.6 cm (approx 1.5 inches)

I think Liquor Cocktail - any confirmation please?
thanks
JAK

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Holmegaard Princess - what type and what year - help please
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:08:22 AM »
According to Peter on http://www.hardernet.dk/ they are cocktail glasses (choose stemware then click on P and scroll down and click on Princess).

Never seen them in ice blue before or engraved (they don't look blue in your photos). Princess glasses are always popular.

John

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:54:22 AM »
Thanks John, yes, definitely the cocktail glasses then.

No, I have not seen them in ice blue before, that is one reason I snapped them up, also the engraving was a bonus. I bought them from a lady in Queensland who emailed me just after I had paid to say their town was about to be flooded, they were evacuating, and she'd be in touch when she could. About a week later she emailed to say the post office had reopened, and she had posted them. I can only assume her home was not flooded. Lucky! (both of us.)She might have lost everything, and  I might never have received them.

I just tried to photograph them again to show the colour, but it is so pale I cannot get it with my limited technical skills. I have a fine Per Lutken Kravkaal bowl in exactly the same colour, and also a Menuet vase (which being thicker shows the colour more) , so it is the classic ice blue of Holmgaard.
JAK

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 11:47:42 AM »
HGX is 1972 - to differentiate it from production seconds that were marked with a '2'.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 12:10:13 PM »
I am a little bit :mrgreen: or should that be ice blue with envy? That Holmegaard blue is pale, not surprising that it is difficult to capture in glasses.

Have you used them yet?

John

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 12:32:26 PM »
Thanks Nic for the date, & John for the  :mrgreen: !

the sellers photo on ebay showed the ice blue better than I can get it - item number 120661843519  if you want to look at the original photo -which will disappear soon as I bought them at Xmas.  (actually on  Xmas Day it seems - now that is obsessed!) (And you will see the amazingly low price I paid)

as to using them - well it is Saturday night, my son and daughter have both just left with friends for their nights out so I could fill one of them up and give it a go! Blue curacao here I come ( I bought a bottle just to fill up my Kluk Kluk decanter with to show off its shape - so I suppose I'd better drink some   :o ) I'll have to alternate glasses to give each a turn......

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand