No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Princess  (Read 11725 times)

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
Holmegaard Princess
« on: October 05, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »
I feel there could be a niche in my life for some really nice stemware. Sadly, the Sherdley and Ravenhead designs are pretty unexciting. But my eye has been repeatedly drawn to Holmegaard's Princess, which I just adore. Two questions: will it break the bank? and how stable are the glasses? I want something I can use without too much angst.
Heidi

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard Princess
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:06:42 PM »
I've never actually had any 'Princess', frustratingly, so I can't comment on its sturdiness - but most Holmegaard stemware was designed to be used. I've had a suite of 'Canada' for a few years now with no casualties.

Technically they shouldn't be terribly expensive, as they were in constant production from 1957-1995, passing from Kastrup to Kastrup-Holmegaard, and then to just Holmegaard, but they still do seem to fetch fairly sizeable amounts on eBay, with the more common sizes going for between £60-80 per set, and the scarcer ones, such as the champagne flute, going for anything up to £30 per glass.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 06:49:11 PM »
You'd be fairly lucky to get champagne flutes for £30 each, Nic.

They're lovely glasses to drink from and perfectly stable but if knocked over can snap at the join between stem and bowl. The bowls are also fairly fine and fragile, but replacements are'nt too hard to find if you do have an accident.

We have had sets of all the service (except the straight sided tumblers) and would say they're a stylish choice, though perhaps not everyday glasses.

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 08:37:22 PM »
Thank you both. I'll start keeping my eyes open on e-bay and elsewhere. Probably an investment over time - but then that's half the fun.
Heidi

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 08:50:22 AM »
I agree with Martyn - they're lovely to use but definitely not for everyday.  I've had the white wine glasses and the champagne bowls in the past and they're a delight to drink from. With regard to prices - I've been incredibly lucky and picked up both sets for just a few pounds from boot sales but I regularly watch them on eBay where they never seem to go unnoticed and always fetch good money.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 12:41:27 PM »
You'd be fairly lucky to get champagne flutes for £30 each, Nic.

Whenever I've spotted them on eBay they seem to end between £20-30 each (exclusive of P&P).

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 02:21:53 PM »
Fair enough Nic,
after I posted above I checked and saw the last ones went for around £25-30 but with £9 post from Australia.... I did'nt want to sound like I was undermining what you said it's just that the flutes don't turn up very often in the UK and if you wanted to have a good chance of buying them on ebay.co.uk I'd anticipate having to pay over £30 all inc. Replacements.com has them at $99 USD + P&P each and I've seen them sell for more than that in the past
The Champagne flutes are the most expensive, with Red (claret), Water and decanter also being pretty pricey. But over time I'm sure you could pick up bargains and put together a reasonably priced set (be aware there are A LOT of different glasses in the full service). We picked up a nearly complete service about five years ago very cheaply and spent over 3 years trying to fill in the blanks before space and my patience got the better of me and we sold them off, but we did enjoy using them on special occasions while we had them.

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Just taken delivery of a couple of shot glasses - they were going cheap, so I thought I'd buy them just to get the feel.

I'm in love! They're even more fabulous in the flesh - stunningly beautiful, great quality, lovely weight and balance in the hand... Sheer design genius!

Consider me definitely in the market should any happen to fall into your hands, Nic and Pip...
Heidi

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 08:07:14 PM »

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 08:22:27 PM »
Sorry, Martyn - didn't mean to exclude you! Only said Pip and Nic cos I know they're in the trade.

Can I stop digging now?  :-[ :-[ :-[
Heidi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand