No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: murano dog ?????  (Read 1710 times)

Offline blondie72drinking

• Members
murano dog ?????
« on: October 05, 2008, 09:13:51 PM »
hi can you tell me if i have a vintage murano dog - he is clear yello with red nose and tongue and a white collar

regards
Tina

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
Re: murano dog ?????
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 09:24:43 PM »
hi Tina,

welcome to the funnyfarm

can you post a pic,

its nigh on impossible to tell otherwise,  :'(
martin

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »
Hiya I tried to post my pic but it is 640kb haha not sure how to make the photo smaller any ideas
thanks for welcoming me and answering to me to haha

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 10:11:54 PM »
Hi have managed to upload a photo on a new topic murano dog Vintage  please can you have a look and see what  u think - appreciate any info you may have

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 10:23:41 PM »
These dogs are mysteries. Some people call them fantasy dogs. I divide them into two classes. The ones that don't have colorful applied glass tongues, noses, and eyes were done by ICET of Venezuela. The ones like yours that have colorful tongues, etc., are probably Murano. My best guess for these animals is Fratelli Toso. I saw one dog that had a Toso blue sticker. However, I could be wrong in assuming they were all done by a single company. Several companies may have made similar dogs. :-\

I also have to add that I am assuming the Toso sticker wasn't an add-on. Most of these "fantasy" dogs that I see do not have any labels at all.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 08:47:50 AM »
Hi Anita,
Thanks for the info thats been a great help you wouldnt happen to know if it is vintage cant locate another one for the love of money x

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 11:04:09 AM »
I don't know how old these dogs are. The ones I have seen are considered vintage. I have seen them attributed to Seguso, Toso, or Barbini. I used to think they were Archimede Seguso until I saw the one with the label. Several models are made to look like different breeds of dogs. There are various types of techniques used -- e.g., transparent glass, sommerso, pulegoso, cased and uncased. I think you would be safe saying the dog was vintage glass and probably Murano. When something sells well in stores, several companies may make things similar, so saying something is definitely Toso because one dog had a label can be risky. I've seen the dogs described as being from dates ranging from the 1930s to the 1960s. I don't trust the dates because if we aren't sure who made the dogs, we don't know exactly when. :) I have the feeling they are from around 1960 -- the era of far-out glass -- but it is just a feeling with no data to back it up.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline sac0114

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 01:57:10 PM »
Hi Tina,just read and looked at your murano dog,I have one very simular but blue instead,I was left them by my nan a few weeks ago.I dont no anything about murano but my nan swore by it.Im going to put the collection up for sale as soon as I can find the best web site to advertise it on ,there are 14 pieces so you,ll be able to see the pictures by tommorow and compare your dog to mine.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 05:14:16 PM »
Hi Sac, and welcome to the GMB  :)

We'd love to see your Murano glass - thanks!  Could only put the dog that relates to this question on this thread please?  With the other 13 pieces of your items, could you possibly post them into the Market Place Forum here, because that's where things for sale go - this helps us keep the board tidy.   ;) 

Of course, you might actually get a sale from items you post there, so it works for you too and it's free!  Cheers   :)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/board,4.0.html  <~ Market Place Forum link
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand