No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help on 1912 perfume flask.....please!!  (Read 2307 times)

Offline chuggy

• Members
Help on 1912 perfume flask.....please!!
« on: August 27, 2005, 07:13:12 PM »
OK folks as regulars will know my pressed glass knowledge compares with that of a newt, so any help on this appreciated.
Bought this great perfume flask today has silver screw on cap and silver dispenser inside both with London h/m for 1912 and reg no 503647 which is from 1907.
Quality of the glass is superb with 6 clear panels surrounded by very art nouveau frosted panels of foliage and berries. Quite substantial being 4" in diameter and 5" high, but any thoughts on who made the glass. My initial thought are Czech, but really don't know.

http://tinypic.com/b871pd.jpg
http://tinypic.com/b8738i.jpg

Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
perfume bottle
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 09:59:18 PM »
Can't anyone throw some light on this. It is incredibly Lalique like in style, with a polished flat clear base, but a real quality piece so I'm convinced it's a good maker.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 10:24:25 PM »
Yeah - this interests me I love the hallmark being 1912 but the RD. No. being 1907 - I feel this makes the whole item UK - London based maker who kept the patent past the three years (RD numbers lasted 3 years before designs could be copied), or/and even registered it again - I can't see them doing that with an imported piece of glass, also there is no 'F' import mark so we know they would only bring the glass bottle over and I can't see that either with all that registration going on to protect the patent (design)

BTW how do you get your reg numbers (I email the main Reg office and they always get back to me quickly) - what did the RD. info include? for the metal top or for the whole item - I am sure it must have been for the whole item

Most Rd. numbers if investigated will give you a maker and lots more besides - I just got an email back with info on a brass 'Cat' caddy spoon, it gave me so much info and a picture

"Full details of all Registered Designs are held by: The Public Record Office, Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Surrey TW9 4DU" http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

Also have you investigated the silver maker - is there a mark - if not the RD. No. should yield a lot of info if you contact Kew
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline lhazeldahl

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 04:32:33 AM »
Hello,

Great piece!!!  It reminds me of Lalique, too.  I agree, also, on the quality, at lease what shows in the pictures.  It looks genuinely classy!  I hope there is a discussion here about your flask,  as it should be very interesting.  And informative.      

Linda
You can't hurt your eyes by looking on the bright side...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand