No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lars Hellsten?  (Read 4963 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Lars Hellsten?
« on: August 28, 2005, 04:20:49 PM »
This is 13” diameter and weighs nearly 3 kilos – it’s the biggest bit of Orrefors I have had and as you can see from photo is fully signed by Lars Hellsten – that makes this early 70s – cost me £40.00 was that good investment – bit light scratching but clear glass like this always has – anyone know much about this designer

http://tinypic.com/b9c7kl.jpg
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Lars Hellsten?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 04:37:30 PM »
I love this!  

I don't know if you found this bit of bio about Lars Hellsten or not Adam... http://www.glasboden.se/eu/brands/o_designers/o_designers_eu.php (he's the third one on the page - scroll down till you come to him).

Can I just also ask, what makes you think it's 70's rather than later... ? It would be a useful snippet of info to know in case I happen to find anything by him on my travels! :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David555

• Members
Lars Hellsten?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 07:32:30 PM »
The tiny give away scratches and feel make me think its 1970s - although I don't know abnout this hand made form - I know he joined Orrefors in 1972 and was doing these kind of shapes - but even with the so called age scratching it could be 1980s - I never knew he was still working so thanks for the link

but ....

Orrefors since late 80s and 90s have had an acid etched stamp which is uniform - don't know if you have seen that, usually the hand written script and especially the designer's full name indicate pre 80s

Here is a link to a 1970s candle holder and a late 1980s one - compare the markings and the labels

http://tinypic.com/b9gfpy.jpg
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Lars Hellsten?
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 08:28:26 PM »
Hmmm interesting Adam. I also found a pic of piece which is signed rather than acid stamped but the date is 2001 ... perhaps only some were stamped? Meanwhile, have a look at this signed one from 2001 - not a candle holder but a vase, but def with a Lars Hellsten signature... http://www.modernity.se/app/web/Article.aspx?ArtID=448 - I wonder if this is a genuine signed piece?  The whole area of signatures and stamps etc is one that regularly comes up for discussion here on the board. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David555

• Members
Lars Hellsten?
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 12:33:29 AM »
Thanks Anne - no that looks genuine - perhaps Orrefors acid etch for ordinary bits but still hand sign for special bits - big items and Ltd editions - that seems likely and makes my piece which is very age scratched looking perhaps only a few years old - wait till I see my dealer :evil:

W L. Geary

Lars Hellsten
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 04:39:35 AM »
When looking at signatures from Orrefors, you will see the use of various techniques. On the production work,
the use of an acid etched stencil was used or an of inscribed.
On limited edition and unique editions, a person on the
staff of Orrefors signed the works.
During the 1980's management decided the artists should sign their art glass production. Needless to say,
this did not sit well with the artist-designers and ended quickly.
Lars has been one of the most successful artist/designers at Orrefors. His workwith cast glass  and the centrifuge have been a major commercial success. The Corona Bowl series is an example.
The piece you have is a natural evolution of his sculptural
aptitude started at Skruf Glass Works.
His sculptural work is now used as decoration around the Orrefors Glass Works and on a major highway round-about leading into Nybro, the local community near Orrefors, a small village in Smaland.

Offline David555

• Members
Lars Hellsten?
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 09:00:23 PM »
Thank you W. L. Geary - very informative - I agree
the use of an acid etched stencil was used or an of inscribed.
On limited edition and unique editions, a person on the
staff of Orrefors signed the works.
but the 1980s era whre they all had to sign - does my bowl fall into that era?

How quick is a progression from the work he was doing at Skruf - is it 1970s early 80s or last week?

W. Geary

Hellsten
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 05:53:22 AM »
Lars Hellsten worked at Skruf Glass Works as a designer
from 1964 until 1972 when he joined Orrefors.

The artists only signed art glass for a very short period of
time at Orrefors.

His sculpture is large, heavy and quite interesting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand