No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walther glass bowl?  (Read 5240 times)

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
Walther glass bowl?
« on: October 06, 2008, 08:54:06 PM »
Hello members,I bought this bowl in a charity shop last week for £1.99 and would be grateful if anyone had any info please on it? I think with the colour of the pink glass could possibly be Walther.Not sure if it is a float bowl or a comport top as it does have a deep base that may fit on something? Always glad of any contributions.Thank you very much.
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Walther glass bowl?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 06:24:41 AM »
I think it's a Bagley (3061) Equinox flower bowl; it was probably sold as a set with a plinth and a flower  block. They were made from 1938-1975. What size is it? Info Bagley Glass, Bowey, Parsons and Parsons

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:01:34 AM »
Hi Christine,thanks for the reply.It measures 31cm across.Ive seen lots of Bagleys equinox bowls but this one is different,seems wider and the wavy rim isnt as tight as the equinox.I live not too far from Knottingley where Bagley was based and have had the pleasure of seeing the glass room in Pontefract museum and its a pleasure to see all the glass together! Thanks

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 07:08:07 AM »
Way too big then. Crown Crystal also had a lookalike Equinox, but that had stippled sections. The colour also reminds me of what I think are Czech desert sets - veering towards pale red rather than the peach pink of most pink glass. I think I might opt for a Czech lookalike, Marcus?

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:41:27 AM »
Hi again all,here are 2 more pics of the bowl.Notice how the base is deeper than normal.I have something similar to this bowl but the rim is up-turned and deeper in green glass,has exactly the same base as the pink bowl as if to fit onto something? Thanks all

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 01:39:10 PM »
Hi,
Imho, Spojené České Sklárny n.p. Heřmanova huť, Czechoslovakia. Certainly the size would be right, as this is probably a variant of the 230mm diameter bowl, pattern number 19617, which dates to 1947, and almost certainly designed by FrantiÅ¡ek Pečený, as the pattern numbers for this service come immediately after his "Halifax" pattern service, which is well documented as his first pattern for the factory. Sadly, the 1950s catalogue does not show this exact variant. However the underbowl radial ribbing would be consistent with the pattern, I am thinking of.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 05:31:54 PM »
could also be a Brockwitz Dresden with its incredibly missing glass to fill the form?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 10:09:40 AM »
Definitely not Equinox - lots of points of difference, the most important being that Equinox has a square base.

Offline barb800

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 04:50:54 AM »
Hello,
I've just joined so this is my first reply, I think your bowl is the comport bowl from the Walther Neptun (Fish base) set as in the 1936 catalogue.
Regards,
Barb.

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 06:58:27 AM »
Hi Barb, thanks for your information! I haven't got the pink fish base but I do have it in green and tried it on there and what do you know it fits!!! I then checked my Walther catalogues for 1936 scrutinising it and you are absolutely right it is the comport top for the Neptun I can't believe I missed it! Its good to know now all I need is the pink base,though I do have the fish dressing table set in pink so could try on top of the candleholder.Thank you again for your input!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand