No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Weight Signed A Seguso  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Murano Weight Signed A Seguso
« on: October 07, 2008, 09:32:59 PM »
Hi There.
            purchased this weight with 20 tri angle sides, stands 3" high weighs 610g some times it is purple then some times blue? am trying to find out What the A stands for it is signed A seguso, also about when this could have been made i have only just started to collect paper weights so am in the dark really, it also as Murano on the weight.

Is this a commercial weight for the tourists or would this have been made to order? as any one seen this weight before please, any info is most appreciated,
               Steve

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: Murano Weight Signed A Seguso
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 05:41:40 AM »
hi Steve!

the fact that it´s sometimes blue sometimes purple suggests it´s
alexandrite respectively neodymium glass. a search on these words
here on the board will surely bring a topic that will explain the colour-
changing effect better than i´d be able to.
sorry, can´t add information towards maker and so forth.... :huh:

dirk

ahh, this one:
http://www.mindspring.com/~reyne/neowhatsis.html
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »
The A is for Archimede.

The signature is a forgery. Someone picked it up somewhere in a shop, online or at a carboot sale and got the engraver out of the garage and had a bit of fun.

I checked online for examples of Archimede Seguso's signature and this one is obviously by a different hand that is not as experienced engraving glass. You can see the first part of the signature is kinda of 'dug in'

This also does not look like anything Seguso made.

I have a paperweight from China that has neodymium glass in it. I love the color changing property.

I see lots of forgeries on eBay. I would love to make a collection of them except the sellers ask too much for them!

I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 01:18:42 AM »
Hi Glasstrufflehunter.
                            How could i get this verified before i back this weight if it is a fake signature as you say, as i bought it after being told it was right.

Where can i find a comparison to this signature to look at any idea, shame and i really liked this weight. Ahhhhhh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:22:04 AM »
This page has a couple of good photos of signed Seguso pieces. The signature is different than what you have.

Do a Google search on Archimede Seguso and you will see lots of examples of his work. He works his glass hot into all kinds of wonderful flowing shapes. Your piece is an example of cold work: A solid piece of neodymium glass was faceted into that wonderful shape. It's a nice piece of glass but it's not Seguso.

Here's a nice little bit about neodymium glass.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand