No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: T. Yamamoto ID = Hoya Crystal, Japan  (Read 54399 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
T. Yamamoto ID = Hoya Crystal, Japan
« on: October 10, 2008, 03:56:18 PM »
Does anybody know anything about a glass artist by the name of T. Yamamoto who engraves glass plates?
A piece is for sale on eBay if this helps identify it.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T-Yamamoto-Etched-Crocus-Serving-Plate-1-Signed_W0QQitemZ200237231770QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200237231770
Any information about the manufacturer, place of manufacture and any history would be gratefully received.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: T. Yamamoto
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 05:19:19 PM »
I have a Yamamoto plate much like that one, and it's molded, not engraved.  Even so, I'd like to hear about it, too, if anything knows anything.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:38:54 AM »
OK, I have been on the case, done lots of research and come up with the following:

The plates are made by Hoya Crystal, Japan.
They are lead crystal, and although the plate is pressed, the art work is done by hand.
T. Yamamoto was one of their prestigious engravers in the 1980's and I believe he is now deceased.
These plates were part of a series called Hoya Crystal Art Engraving Series: Flowers.  There were several different flowers in the series including pansies, crocus, lillies, gerberas and narcissus.

Some have said that this is part of the Mikasa group, but I can find no substantial evedence for this.

Can anyone add anything to this please?
Rosie.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 04:30:03 AM »
I looked, but can't find my plate.  I think I may have given it away.

"although the plate is pressed, the art work is done by hand"  What does this mean exactly - that it's engraved?  Can I ask where you got your information?  When I bought the plate (ebay) I thought it might be engraved.  When I got it I examined it very carefully and hopefully, but I couldn't find any evidence of it being engraved.  It also seems unlikely considering the price they fetch.  Yamamoto may have been an engraver, and he may have designed these plates, but wouldn't it be a bit odd to go to the trouble of engraving a piece then use an etched signature?  And why engrave something if you're going to etch over the whole design?

Obviously I need a bit more convincing! ;D
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 06:53:43 AM »
http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/index.html

More than just optics, they produce art.  I've seen the Tendence stand some years ago and that was a stunning display of brilliant cut, cast and engraved crystal. And I don't think they are related to Mikasa.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 10:19:02 AM »
They need to rethink the crystal website, slow and hard to navigate! But some fascinating pieces... love the overlay glasses and skull range.

http://www.hoyacrystal.jp/product.html?Lang=j

Offline jal

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 11:37:46 AM »

Hi, don't forget the Daffodil !!          John

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 01:40:45 PM »
Thanks for that fab site IVO......where do you get all your info from?  Today you are the 'Glass God' :fwr:

Hello John, that's what 'Narcissus' are.....daffodills!!
Is that your splendid plate?  Do you have any more info about them to add to the already mounting pot of fabulous material....the GMB always comes up trumps, doesn't it!!?

Hello krsilber.....When I said the plate was pressed, this is, I must confess, an assumption that they are not hand blown as they are all the same size.  Most of the info comes from 'Googling' permutations of the artists name, Hoya, Japanese glass and so on......each site gives a little more info, and leads to another possible thread and source.  Googling images also throws up some very interesting auction sites, especially the German ones, where they seem to research their wares very well before putting them on the auction site.......at least, that is the impression I get. It is a very time consuming passtime, prone to disappointment and frustration......however, the odd gem does come up.......although how IVO's link didn't show, I will never know, but it was very late at night, so I probably had my antennae folded by then! :-[
I would still like more info from any source available, and if I come across anything else, I will add it here for those of you who have plates & want more information.

Rosie.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 02:27:25 PM »
Thanks for that fab site IVO......where do you get all your info from?  Today you are the 'Glass God' :fwr:

He is every day Rosie.  :angel:   http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19149.0.html (he's way too modest to blow his own trumpet!)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline jal

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 07:21:46 PM »
    Hi Rosie,  yes it's my plate, bought yesterday afternoon.  I thought I would look on here to see if the name had ever been mentioned, and behold !!!  your question was there on the site.   Just coincidence.
    Sorry, only posh people say Narcissus.   ;)      [and I didn't realise it was the same flower].
 Good to learn about these things.
     Regards,  John.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand