No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: T. Yamamoto ID = Hoya Crystal, Japan  (Read 54329 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: T. Yamamoto
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 12:29:48 AM »
They do some very nice cut and engraved glass.  Those skulls are pretty wild.

Rosie, you must be a better Googler than I.  I found a bunch of example of the plates, the floral ones as well as horses and women's heads, but not the information you found, much less any additional.  Sigh.

Now I wish I hadn't give the plate away, so I could have another close look at it.

...I was looking for a couple of the same flower designs to compare, and thanks to John, finally found one.  Here's another narcissus plate:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270273480443
Notice that they are exactly the same (as far as I can tell, anyway).  This would be very unlikely if they were engraved.  Even when there's a pattern to follow, complex intaglio designs vary a bit.  Does anyone see any differences I'm missing?  The photos are at slightly different angles and the lighting has an impact, but to me they look identical.  Maybe they call it "Art Engraving Series" for the same reason other companies call their pressed wares "Intaglio" - simply because it looks like it. 

And here's another:
http://cgi.ebay.com/JAPANESE-FLORAL-ETCHED-GLASS-PLATE-by-HOYA-CRYSTAL-ART_W0QQitemZ120312788859QQihZ002QQcategoryZ64941QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122

Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 01:01:15 AM »
Hi Kristi, there are quite a few for sale at the moment, have a look at this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360093120785
I think it is possibly the nicest I have seen, lovely pansies, and even has a label.....which is nice!!
I am still researching.....I'm a bit like a terrier in that respect, and will post any other snippets about this here on the thread, although it will be hard to top IVO's contribution.....you are right Anne, he is the Glass God, please can we have a 'bowing down' smiley!!
Hi John, your narcissus plate is super....where did you find that one.....it looks as though you could pick the flowers up off the plate they are so well executed. 
I can feel a new collection coming on here, and I haven't got anywhere to put any more......I have just had to put 3 Selkirk Squirrels in the downstairs loo as there is no more window sill space in the rest of the house!! :o
Goodness, it is 2am, I had better get some sleep.....night night all.  :sleep:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 01:12:33 AM »
Yeah, I saw that one and lots of others.  I just posted the narcissus ones for comparison.  The prices and the ubiquity are further evidence that these aren't engraved, IMO.  Quality engraving is very laborious, and not cheap.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 07:08:28 AM »
I was thrilled to wake up this morning to find an answer to my letter to the Hoya Crystal Company.  I am posting the whole thing in the hopes that it will be interesting to all.

Dear Mr. R. Pearce,

Thank you for your email.

We think the plate you would like to get information is as following;

In the late 1980’s  We started to make the “Flower Plates” which Takehiko Yamamoto engraved with flower decorations.

A resplendent flower associated with each month of the year is sculpted in deep relief on the back of each flower.

There are Narcissus, Crocus, Pansy, Sweet Pea, Carnation, Thistle, Lily, Poppy, African Daisy, Dahlia, Cattleya and Cyclamen.

The diameter is 8 1/2”

If this is not the same as you mentioned, could you please send the picture to us?

Best Regards,

Yumiko Uekado

Yumiko Uekado

Foreign Trade Section

HOYA Corporation Crystal Company

3-3-1 Musashino, Akishima-shi,

Tokyo 196-8510 JAPAN

Fax: +81-42-500-0096

Email: yumiko.uekado@mb.hoya.co.jp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will reply to him to ask if it was only the 'original' plates that were engraved or if they all were.

Needless to say, I will post any reply I get
Rosie.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 06:52:44 PM »
Isn't it nice to get info directly from the company that made the glass?  It sure looks like he was saying they are all engraved.  You might in your follow-up ask whether they are engraved using stone, diamond, and/or copper wheels, and whether they were then etched.  It's possible there's something lost in translation; being able to pin it down to a specific method would eliminate the potential for that sort of misunderstanding.
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 07:55:58 PM »
Hi Kristi, yes, I was so surprised to get such a quick reply, and I have written back thanking them and asking a few more questions, so I will keep you all posted. There were a few different ones listed that I hadn't seen before, including the Cyclamen one.....glorious......but I just haven't got room for them, otherwise I would be on a mission to get the set.
I am also looking at Lalique plates, they also made a 'Months of the Year' series, and they were shells and the like.  Spookily, the basic plate is the same size, and looks very like the Hoya plate, even the label is the same size and shape.......any info on that one?
Rosie.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 10:06:53 PM »
Just popping back to my previous mentioning that I thought Hoya might be related in some way to Mikasa, this is the listing on eBay that led me to think that might be the case. 
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MIKASA-HOYA-CRYSTAL-COVERED-BOWL-EXCELLENT-UNUSED_W0QQitemZ330210748345
It may just be that the pattern of this piece is, coincidentally, called 'Mikasa'.....but I don't know, this is not my field.....give me a glass duck or elephant any day, and I might make a better guess at the maker!!
Rosie.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 11:50:31 PM »
I saw another one that said it had a Hoya Mikasa sticker, and showed a photo of it, but the photo was so bad you couldn't read it.
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 06:29:15 AM »
The connection may be that Mikasa is the trading name of a US retailer of household items (china, glass, flatware, decorative items...) and also a brandname used by the same retailer. Info from United States Patent and Trademark Office

Offline thewoodster

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 07:33:57 PM »
Hi, I was a procurement mgr for aerospace in California in the '80s and bought optical glass among other things. One supplier was Hoya Glass. As a token of their appreciation one year, I was presented with 2 Hoya crystal plates signed by T Yamamoto. I  was told they are of Anemones. I honestly don't know, but they do look like anemones. In 1999, I surfed online for these plates and was directed to a gallery in New York which had 2 sets cited as "Anemones" by T Yamamoto. Their price at the time was $350.00 each. They were described as "Hand etched on the reverse and signed by renowned Japanese artist, T. Yamamoto. I still have them in my glass-front china cabinet. They too have the label still on them, though faded by time. I truly love them and am always struck with the detail of the etching.
I hope this may also shed some light on your subject. I think my email is in my profile if you should wish to comment.
Thank you for your time.
RCW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand