No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two Caithness (?) paperweights for ID  (Read 3387 times)

Offline tzenka

• Members
Two Caithness (?) paperweights for ID
« on: October 10, 2008, 08:54:10 PM »
I am quite sure the first two are Caithness (the person who is selling them said they were her grandfather's Caithness collection).

Mod: tidied up to remove third image which was same as first - and also removed reference to third weight which has been posted as a separate message.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Derek

• Members
Re: Three more paperweights for ID
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 09:20:01 PM »
Hi Tzenka

Caithness weights if first quality will always have Caithness Scotland either etched or scratch signed on the smooth polished base or in a very few cases scratch signed around the bottom of the dome where it meets the base.

The base of Caithness seconds weights will have either a frosted base, C I I G etched or scratched on the base or be blank

I dont recognise either of the designs but the photos are V small. Better pictures of both would help ID. The facetting in the first one is rather unusual and I dont recall seeing a Caithness weight with this cut. But as Caithness produced nearly 3000 different designs you cant remember them all !

The quality of the lampwork in the second one would lead me to conclude that IF IT WAS A CAITHNESS and I am by no means sure of that , then it would be a Caithness Whitefriars. In this case, somewhere in the setup there should be a cane with a hooded monk. Job to tell from the photo posted but it looks as if there is some sort of etching or engraving over the surface of the dome. The tiny diamond facets surrounding the top facet is a method of cutting Caithness used.

Mod: Reference to third weight removed (see above).

Hope this helps

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Re: Three more paperweights for ID
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 09:32:34 PM »
You will occasionaly find Caithness weights which are not signed, but there will always it seems be something very obviously wrong with them in the setup etc, probably making them 3rds.  Maybe someone else knows if they should of even been allowed out of the factory!!!

Offline ALLAN

• Members
Re: Two Caithness (?) paperweights for ID
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 06:21:30 PM »
Hi, I think they are both Caithness but the pics are a bit blurry to tell 100%. The lampwork one looks like one of the range I made with engraved scenes on the back which had a small flat facett on the side of the weightb as a base. This would be at the bottom of the stems of the flowers and any signatures etc would be scratch written on this facett.

Offline tzenka

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 07:02:47 PM »
Thanks Allan, you made paperweights for Caithness?  :hiclp: Wonderful!
The seller sent me more photos. There is one of the label of this weight, but the photos are all blurry and I can't read it. I am posting the photos anyway...

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 07:33:04 PM »
Allan,hope you don't mindme asking, and of course don't reply if you do, but is your surname Scott?

I've seen a similar label on some caithness before, but also on Polish weights as well, looks far to good to be Polish though!!!!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 08:19:33 PM »
He is indeed. One of the best lampworkers!

Some of his weights LINK

And some of his Caithness work LINK

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 08:21:19 PM »
Hi tzenka

The focus on the photo is not good enough to ID the weight. Allan is your only hope for a positive ID, as if its Caithness he will have made the lampwork for it and may possibly recognise it.

However, the weight is almost certainly Caithness as the label is a warning label about placing the label in sunlight which Caithness weights carry - and at the top edge of the base above the label there is the hint of a scratch signed inscription running around the basal rim. On a Caithness weight with a clear ground such as this one that is where it would be signed. Could you get the seller to check this inscription as it will give the title of the weight and edition number and size.

Best regards

Derek

Offline tzenka

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 09:03:44 PM »
Thanks everyone! And, I think I'd speak for all of us if I say we are honored to know Allan, even if only on the net. If I buy one weight from this collection it would be this one.
The person who is interested in selling me the collection of weights is away for the long weekend (until Tuesday) and I couldn't
ask any questions, but I had to make up my mind as to which weights I want, which is why I resorted to asking for help here. So far, it's been worth it 100%!!! :hiclp:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 09:51:05 PM »
You can see some more recent work (and available) here, he needs to earn a crust too  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand