No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two Caithness (?) paperweights for ID  (Read 3259 times)

Offline ALLAN

• Members
Re: Two Caithness (?) paperweights for ID
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 12:39:56 PM »
Thanks for the comments, I am pretty sure now that the weight is "Thatching" from the country crafts editions of 2003. A picture can be seen if you go to franks link to my Caithness work and go through the different pages.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »
Or just put Thatching in the product search box  ;D available when in the catalogue just below the list of categories.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tzenka

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 09:31:49 PM »
Oh, they are all beautiful (my 7-year-old daughter called them "drop dead gorgeous", she is extremely competent in paperweights!!!); I would be thrilled to own a copy of Thatching!

Offline GlassSlipper

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 03:32:01 AM »
Hi Allen,

I'm the seller Tzneka has referenced. My grandfather left these to me and I'm waiting to auction/sell his collection.

The Bottom to the green one reads:

Enchantment Caithness Scotland: 66-75, which is also a magnum.

The white one on the side honey comb dent Reads:

Thatching Ciathness Scotland: 54-100

A few Others I have that are caithness:

-Whitefriars Bee Keeping Caithness Scotland  66/100

-White friars  dry slone walling Caithness Scotland 64/100

-White Friars dog tooth Violet Caithness Scotland 33-50

-Snail + Blossum Caithness Scotland 6-50

- Summer Posy Caithness Scotland 63-150 (very small)

Could you please offer an idea of how much these might be valued? I am really a novice in these matters, but do so love the colors.

Any help or reference would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Glass Slipper

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 09:39:34 AM »
There is the Charlton price guide that gives a valuation for all Caithness weights, although its valuations are above the present levels it will lt you see the relative values of each. The Magnum for example retailed at 350 pounds but has not particularly gone up in value - you would probably get less then that on eBay. Price guide is cheap, so worth getting so that you can list all the details. Scotland's Glass shows the retail price and quantities made, but has not yet got comprehensive coverage and does not give values.

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 11:01:53 AM »
Hi Glass slipper

The secondary market for Caithness paperweights is notoriously fickle - if two collectors both
want a particular design at the same time then the sky is the limit - if a design is not so
popular then the weight can sell for very little.

The Charlton catalogue gives a price for each of the nearly 3000 designs made by Caithness
but this is based on the issue price - IE the price when the weight was sold new by Caithness
and the perceived rarity value. I have to say that  this price bears little resemblance to the
prices realised on E-bay or at auction. Currently the prices realised vary between 1/4 and
2/3 of the catalogue price.

All the weights you have listed show two numbers - eg Enchantment has 66 - 75. These
numbers indicate that the weight is a limited edition weight. The first number shows that
this was the 66th weight made out of a total that would not exceed 75.

The Charlton catalogue quotes the following information about the weights you have listed.

Enchantment edition of 75 designed in 1996 by Colin Terris £375
Thatching edition of 100 designed 2003 by Allan Scott £225
Bee Keeping edition of 100 designed 2003 by Allan Scott £225
Dry stone walling edition of 100 designed 2003 by Allan Scott £225
Dog tooth Violet edition of 50 designed 1995 by Margot Thomson £175
Snail & Blossom edition of 50 designed in 1995 by Willie Manson £300
Summer Posy designed by Willie Manson in 1996 £75

As you love the colours and the market is currently so depressed why dont you
hold onto them until the market recovers. In the mean time you can enjoy
their beauty and try and work out how they were made!

Hope this helps

Best regards

Derek

Offline GlassSlipper

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 04:54:49 PM »
Dear Frank and Derek,

Thank you both for your prompt replies and useful tips. Thank you Derek for actually placing the pricing out on the board for me!

Well, I am looking to unload at least half of this collection, even in the poor market. Could you recommend where I might be best able to sell them? Im open to most offers, but I am not an ebay user. Would that be the best place?

Thanks!

Glass Slipper   (___/\_/

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 06:44:54 PM »
Hi Glass slipper

The first and most obvious place to try selling some of these weights is in the "Glass Market Place" on this forum! I suggest that as a first step you list the ones you wish to sell in this section of the forum.

Other than private sales you have two main options :-

Assuming you are in the UK then a provincial auction house can be a good bet PROVIDING you have one in reasonable proximity to yourself and the auction and images are carried on the internet. Provincial auction house charge a sellers commission which varies between auction houses - you would need to factor this in.

The second option is E-bay - the selling charges have recently increased and I am not sure of the current final value costs but I suspect as a round figure it costs around 10% of the hammer price to sell something on E-bay. You would need to register with E-bay in order to sell but this is straightforward.  make sure that the main heading of the listing carries the words Caithness and the title of the weight

Good luck

Derek

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand