No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Alfredo Barbini  (Read 3904 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Alfredo Barbini
« on: August 30, 2005, 08:12:12 PM »
I bought this bowl some years ago.
Back then I didn't take much notice of designers etc but I have found in my records that this was "attributed" to Alfredo Barbini.

Now when I hear Barbini I think of bright colors and bullicante ....this has neither. It's a very subtle piece with a very light scattering og gold dust all over the inside of the bowl. I was not very impressed with it when it arrived and it has been hidden away until a few of months ago.
Now I have developed a special affection for this understated charms.
My appreciation seems to be undergoing a full about turn !

Are Barbini the man and Barbini the firm so different in style ?
Is this indeed by him ?
How can one tell ? ....by previously known / labelled ? works ?
Which firm might he have been working with at the time he made it ?
Does that even matter, if indeed this piece is by the esteemed maestro  ?
Thank you
Peter

Pete

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Alfredo Barbini
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 08:53:19 PM »
Hi Peter!
YUP! It is Barbini.
I actually collect this shape :) They are pictured in the Barbini catalogue for Weil Ceramics & Glass. The catalogue I have is from the 60's.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
barbini
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 09:45:21 PM »
Yep definitely Alfredo Barbini and becoming increasingly difficult to find, I reckon Javier must be hoovering them all up.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Alfredo Barbini
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 09:55:18 PM »
Thank you Javier & Chuggy
Well I am surprised to have such an easy ID !!!
Seems I did something right (by mistake) in my early collecting career ....hmmm all of about 3 years ago now !!!

If the 60s then it would have long after he left Cenedese to form Vetreria Alfredo Barbini (1950) and it would seem that the company made items for more of an Art market as well as for the tourist / gift trade.

Do Weill have a reputation for dealing in higher end Art Glass or did they also cover the whole spectrum ?

A facinating viewpoint from the Maestro himself
http://www.olnickspanu.com/About/Barbini1.html
Pete

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Re: barbini
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 11:16:22 PM »
Quote from: "chuggy"
Yep definitely Alfredo Barbini and becoming increasingly difficult to find, I reckon Javier must be hoovering them all up.
Paul

LOL, well not ALL of them :) but a few, hehe.
I have about 8 with matching lighters, and 4 "extra" ones. I am always looking to match up the pieces like they are in the catalogue :) just something I like doing specially since thats how they were originally pictured.

As far as Weil Ceramics and Glass selling "high end" pieces or "tourist" stuff, I would say they did everything. I have some very nice pieces with the label, but also the ashtray sets and small dishes that are very common.
They also sold the "svazzo" figures that are amazing to me. So yea I would say that was high end too!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Re: Alfredo Barbini
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 06:24:39 PM »
Mods: I'd like to fix the photo (load one here in original posting) but not allowed to edit.
Please advise.
Pete

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Alfredo Barbini
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 02:33:24 AM »
Hi Pete,

Maybe easiest to just add a new post with the image. One of us Mods can then edit the original post to say "look below". Or you could email the pic(s) to me and I will add it to the original.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand