No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Weekends pressed glass help - inc. two nudes  (Read 2581 times)

Offline chloe

• Members
Weekends pressed glass help - inc. two nudes
« on: October 12, 2008, 02:34:58 PM »
Hiya - more rummaging finds.  Firstly there are two nude figures.  The first one is the green one, and comes from an Italian lady.  I assume it was once in a base.  The second is the pair which I have id'd as Andromeda by Bagley.  Can anyone help with the markings to the base?  Do they mean anything interesting at all? Also would you sell them individually or as a pair?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
Re: Weekends pressed glass help - inc. two nudes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 03:09:06 PM »
Hi the green Jadite glass lady was made by Jobling.She originally would have gone in a frog and then a matching fircone bowl.Thanks
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »
Chloe, you would be much better making separate posts for IDs, that way no one gets confused about who is talking about what.

Your pink bowl is French and quite common, although we don't know who made it. See here

Let me know if you can't see my pic. It shows as not being linked properly but when I click on the Photobucket error thing that shows, it goes to the right picture. We might need the mods to fiddle with my thread.

The marking on the Andromedas look like stock and pricing marks. 1/6 being the price. I would sell them singly

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 05:31:53 PM »
Chloe ā€” Very nice indeed (the Andromedas).   There were at least four versions:-
  • Freestanding with an extra tall rocky base like your, sold on its own or with a large bloom ring,
  • Peg base to fit bloom ring or flower block,
  • Short peg base to fit flower block, and
  • Bayonet fitting peg base to fit the 1950sā€“60s Leek? chrome lamp, also sold with a glass rocket, probably not by Bagley.

• The free-standing version is not at all common in my experience.

Any retail prices on glass are rare, so your 1/6 on the base is interesting.   Don't wash it off!   ... and, please, never convert 1/6 to 7Ā½p.   Somewhere on this board there are links to a variety of far more sensible conversion tables based on worth indices like retail prices.

Bernard C.  8)
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline chloe

• Members
    « Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 06:50:55 PM »
    Fab info as always peeps!  Have replied three times now and keep getting kicked off so my great long post is short now.

Found the pic Lux, but only by clicking on it.  I love the bowl, but mine has a little nick so if's fairly common then probably not worth anything.

With the Andromeda, will the badly placed air bubble (on her breast) impact on the second one?!  Also - any clue as to how to price?

Jobling lady - any ideo on model?

Many thanks x

Offline Mosquito

• Members
      • 中国 (China)
      • Jobling Art Glass
    « Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 09:41:23 AM »
    Chloe,

As Bernard says, the price is very interesting & something you don't often see. The only priced item I have is a satin finished Davidson Chevron vase with 3/6 pencilled underneath.

As regards the Jobling figure, she is catalogue no. 2541. It is hard to tell from your picture but she looks to be a later example, the very early ones had flowers moulded on the back towards the base and sometimes a different style peg fitting. As Oyemicanto says, she would have originally come with a flower block & bowl. The 1934 catalogue shows the set with a Fir Cone bowl but I have seen the figures paired with other patterns, including the Flower pattern, and, once, the 2077 salad bowl, though whether they were sold like this originally or married later is debatable.

A complete set is shown here: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10961

Steven

Offline Bernard C

• Members
    « Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 04:33:47 AM »
    Chloe ā€” More on the Jobling jade 2541 figurine.

The centrepiece set was launched by a full page advertisement in the 1st September 1933 issue of Pottery Gazette, just about in time for the Christmas 1933 market, although cutting it rather fine.   The advertisement shows it in the completely plain 1054 (with base star) / 1054Ā½ (without) jade floating bowl, on a plinth which must be the product of the artist's imagination, as this floating bowl has no base ring to lock it on to a plinth, and so would have been dangerous to use in this way.   These sets do emerge occasionally, so we can deduce that from about the turn of the year the set came with the newly launched jade fircone bowl together with a black plinth as the standard configuration.

The figurine was designed and modelled in plaster of paris by Etienne Franckhauser, with the first mould probably made at his Paris foundry.   Franckhauser was the highly skilled artist who turned Lalique's roughly sketched designs into practical reality, although he is rarely, if ever, mentioned in collector's guides to Lalique.   Franckhauser also produced models and moulds for firms like Sabino and Hunebelle.   You will find more of this fascinating story in Baker & Crowe, A Collector's Guide to Jobling 1930s Decorative Glass.

Finally, a word of caution.   I notice that you appear to be buying glass to resell.   Please respect the copyright of those who have responded here to your query.   In particular, please do not attempt to precis any of this material, as it is not only what we have said that is important in its entirety, but also quite often what we have not said.   By far the simplest way around this is to let your readers read this material for themselves, by including the following link:-

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,23462.0.html

Hope that helps,

Bernard C.  8)

Offline chloe

• Members
    « Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:29:00 AM »
    Hi - thanks for your information. 

Re your second point:  I have never hidden the fact that I resell - I have a link to my website on my signature, and mention selling things on in the first post on this topic.  Please feel free to read the information on any of the pieces I sell and you'll see that I never copy the material from these topics.  I use the information on here as a basis for further research of my own.  As such the pertinent points of discussion may be included on my description, though never without further research of my own, and never in any way which would infringe a copyright.  If you have issue with anything specific I mention in any of the pieces I have for sale I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly to discuss. 

I apologise if I appear to be slightly 'narky' about this, but it's quite a big thing to indirectly accuse someone of.  I visit this board in good faith, and whilst probably asking more than I contribute at the moment it is simply as I am increasing my knowledge of these areas.  I try to contribute in other ways, and would like to think that I'm more than someone who comes on here to glean information which I can then copy and paste into my listings for items.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
    « Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 04:40:47 AM »
    Chloe ā€” Please read what I said.   I did not accuse you of anything, directly or indirectly.   I do not particularly welcome my words of explanation and help addressed to both you and other readers being reinterpreted in this way, and I think your response only serves to emphasise their importance.   I did, briefly, consider an apology, but immediately rejected it as meaningless, as how can I apologise for your oversensitive imagination?

I stand by what I said.   It's important, and it's not adequately covered in this board's guidelines at present.   There has been some discussion on this at committee level;  perhaps its priority should be increased.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline chloe

• Members
    « Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 08:15:38 AM »
    If it was not directed at me then I do apologise for any over reaction.  I did search the entire board for any other instances where you had said anything similar to anyone else, and didn't find anything (despite a large number of people who use this board for id help and also sell their items) - I felt, therefore, that it was a more personal message than you may have intended it to be.

It may be worth have some kind of pinned thread somewhere about this, since it is such an important issue, which all newcomers could read (just in case they don't happen to read this thread  ;))

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand