No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: *NEW* Visit (3 Feb): Smethwick Heritage Centre, Chance Glass  (Read 18874 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
*NEW* Visit (3 Feb): Smethwick Heritage Centre, Chance Glass
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2005, 12:13:13 PM »
Quote from: "chopin-liszt"
:D
Miller's guide says the serviette holder is c1955, Margaret Casson, "MHT" price (in the guide) £45-50.  :D

I DO like the red and the black with the gold swirls. I've only got plain white on clear bits. :(

Wow, thanks for the price guide, Sue! OK, mustn't get too excited as it is a guide... take some tablets, have a lie down... :) Are you working from the Dorling Kindersley (DK) Miller's Collectables Price Guide?

Just to clarify on the photos: the 'black' dish is the red one! I couldn't photo it properly (always have this trouble with red glass), but this design is the 'Swirl' pattern, as is your "white on clear bits" item. :D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2005, 01:48:20 PM »
Now look what you guys have done to me!  :roll: I've just come back from a boot fair with five, yes five!, pieces of Chance glass... and I don't even like the wretched stuff!!!  :shock:

One is a Calypto design sandwich tray, but the other four are a different design... has leaves and a butterfly on it... does this sound in any way familiar? I'll try and get some pics later... have to go visiting dad this aftie now he's been let out of hospital. :)

Oh, BTW, also found a Davidson "William and Mary" design cracker/biscuit jar with lid, a satin mustard yellow flower bowl - sounds awful but isn't really!, an indigo blue jug (Scandi-looking) and an uranium green butter dish with a cow on the top.

It's been ages since I went to a boot fair.. it's on again tomorrow, so guess where I'll be...???  :lol:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2005, 02:02:50 PM »
Quote from: "Anne"
Now look what you guys have done to me!  I've just come back from a boot fair with five, yes five!, pieces of Chance glass... and I don't even like the wretched stuff!!!

Now Anne, you wouldn't have bought it unless you like it :wink:

But many people are selling Chance glass very cheaply because they have no idea what they've got, however there is a growing market for it. It would appear that the 'intaglio' versions of this glass is very collectable and was only produced for a very short time, during the early 1950s.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2005, 02:45:35 PM »
:D
Yes, David, it's the DK version. (pp. 306-7)

I've just noticed :oops::oops::oops:  - there's a white-flashed intaglio-cut rectangular plate (on it's own) c1955, 11.5" high (?sic), price guide £70-80.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2005, 04:17:25 PM »
Quote from: "DenCill"

Yes they did. In fact the red/gold one (not sure about silver) is on display at the Heritage Centre. You'll find that plenty of float glass with gilt edging can often be attributed to Chance and they were very prolific manufacturers from 1950-1980.

Just spotted a red/silver one on eBay in it's original box with label David: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7709471972 - this is the same shape/size/design as mine but mine is blue not red.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2005, 04:40:11 PM »
Quote from: "Sue"
I've just noticed  - there's a white-flashed intaglio-cut rectangular plate (on it's own) c1955, 11.5" high (?sic), price guide £70-80.

Very interesting. I'd like to see one of these 'in the flesh'.

Not sure about the 'height' though - must be real difficult balancing it on its edge :lol:

Just spotted a red/silver one on eBay in it's original box with label

Thanks very much, Anne :D

I might buy that for the Centre as it's still sealed. I'm thinking this colour must be the right one, although my photo does look gold! Makes sense seeing it celebrated a Silver Wedding... :oops:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2005, 06:16:09 PM »
Finally a piece of Chance I like and designed by Margaret Casson to  boot.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7355556991
Pete

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 02:30:34 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
Finally a piece of Chance I like and designed by Margaret Casson to  boot.

Peter, I agree with you: the Giraffe Carafe is quite an iconic piece but teamed up with other pieces in the Swirl pattern and you'll probably appreciate the design better :)

I have since located the current manufacturers, Joseph Joseph, who took over the operation:

http://www.josephjoseph.com

A Flash-based site, so rather "decorative", but interesting to view their current range. Although the gilt edging has gone, it's surprising how designs from the 1960s can still hack it today! :shock:

Based in Tower Wharf, perhaps a future venue for the London Glassoholics? Take your wallet, Max! :lol:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2005, 06:04:14 PM »
:D:D:D
Hello Peter, I've got the glasses to go with your carafe!

http://tinypic.com/e9uauc.jpg
http://tinypic.com/e9uaz8.jpg

I don't think the carafe would hold enough to fill all 6 of them, they're huge! (Sadly, one has a tiny chip) :cry:.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 07:40:31 PM »
David said:
I have since located the current manufacturers, Joseph Joseph, who took over the operation:

http://www.josephjoseph.com

When you say they've taken over, do you mean they're operating from the same premises?  Sorry to seem dim, but as you said,  there's not much Chance left in Joseph Joseph, is there?

I've got a Calypto Giraffe Carafe (mad name or what??) and a Swirl Giraffe Carafe (did I dream they're called Giraffe Carafes??), but I have no glasses.  Maybe people bought them in a set, used the glasses, but didn't use their giraffe carafes because they thought the name was just too ridiculous.   :lol:
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand