No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: *NEW* Visit (3 Feb): Smethwick Heritage Centre, Chance Glass  (Read 18872 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
*NEW* Visit (3 Feb): Smethwick Heritage Centre, Chance Glass
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2005, 10:12:36 PM »
Quote from: "Max"
David said:
I have since located the current manufacturers, Joseph Joseph, who took over the operation:

http://www.josephjoseph.com

When you say they've taken over, do you mean they're operating from the same premises?  Sorry to seem dim, but as you said,  there's not much Chance left in Joseph Joseph, is there?

Sorry I wasn't very clear :oops:

The rights to Fiestaware was bought up by Michael Joseph who continued manufactured from Birmingham, but not the same premises. Joseph Joseph (twin sons of Michael - or grandsons?) have a studio and showroom at Tower Wharf, but their manufacturing base is still in Birmingham.

But if you visit the web site you'll see examples that definitely draw influence from some of the original Fiestaware designs - look at the Optic Snack range, for example. Also click on Table Deluxe and see the design that pops up at the top! Hmm, familiar... :)

They do plenty of kitchenware and even splashbacks for the cookers  8)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2005, 12:54:14 AM »
I don't know if this may be of interest, but it gives a link to a history of the Chance Glass company... scroll down to the File Download section near the bottom. The rest of this page is interesting as well. :) http://www.search.revolutionaryplayers.org.uk/engine/resource/exhibition/standard/default.asp?resource=2032
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2005, 07:58:54 AM »
Very interesting link Anne, thanks. I think this would really appeal to people like Bernard who are interested in the architectural and industrial use of glass. I'm not sure when they started to produce tableware, but I think it was much later.

I would also like to know more about the history of Chance until they closed in 1981 (a year before Whitefriars — how are the mighty fallen...) but I think the books mentioned in this thread will be extremely hard to get hold of.

BTW, Anne, did you know you're 8 away from your 1,000th post? :wink:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2005, 08:04:01 AM »
Following that link a little further I also came across this:

http://www.search.revolutionaryplayers.org.uk/engine/theme/default.asp?theme=88
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2005, 08:59:42 AM »
David — I am interested in all aspects of glass as a material.   I don't think you can hope to appreciate its unique qualities if you restrict yourself to any one particular use or glassmaking process.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2005, 10:48:18 AM »
Quote from: Bernard C
David — I am interested in all aspects of glass as a material.   I don't think you can hope to appreciate its unique qualities if you restrict yourself to any one particular use or glassmaking process.

Bernard, I'm also interested in all aspects of glass, and I soak up as much glass information like a sponge. Unfortunately my brain, like a sponge, has got very sodden lately and simply can't take anymore! :wink:

However, on a related subject, did you see my other posting? See:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2700.0.html

Some books that I'm sure would be of interest.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2005, 10:14:07 PM »
Glad it was of interest David. Also the related links you found. I'll add these to Glassoholic for future reference as well. :)  PS I hadn't noticed the proximity of post 1000 - I'm one closer now!   :wink:  (Do I get a badge when I go past 1000???)  :lol:

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2005, 09:09:14 AM »
Quote from: "Anne"
Glad it was of interest David. Also the related links you found. I'll add these to Glassoholic for future reference as well. :)  PS I hadn't noticed the proximity of post 1000 - I'm one closer now!   :wink:  (Do I get a badge when I go past 1000???)  :lol:

Well, both you and Leni have passed that magical number now! You both get a Golden Cornflake :)

The links I provided were direct to the books which, of course, will be redundant when PostSscript Books have sold out. As an idea though, your links library could contain common searches for glass books from the more popular online book sellers.

For example:
http://www.psbooks.co.uk/Title.asp?Title=glass&pg=Title+Search&ur=Search.asp?fld=Title

... calls up all their 'glass' books, although there will obviously be references to titles that are not required (like "The Glass Enclosure" on jazz legend, Bud Powell? Uh?), but at least it would provide an instant link to possible favourite searches.

Just a thought.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2005, 03:40:22 PM »
Interesting thought David, thanks. I'll check this out and see what I can do. :)

I have already starting listing individual titles based on suggestions and mentions here on the board. If anyone has any other titles to add then please let me know and I'll add those too  (my e-mail address is added in Profileso you should see an e-mail button below my posts now). I still have the CD Books (such as Glen's Sowerby ones) to add as well, plus another raft of book links found in various places.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2005, 07:21:28 PM »
David - if you are there :lol:   Did you see anything like this vase at the Smethwick Heritage Centre?  I know from your comments following your visit, that Chance Bros. made prism glass for lighthouses and also produced household items during WW2.  I bought this vase today because it fascinated me.  It looks like a prism - very much like one seen in a lighthouse.  It also has "CELERY" etched on it.  I meant to take a pic. of it in sunlight because it looks great - refracting light, so the pic. here isn't the best.  
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/prism003.jpg

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand