No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Huge Per Lütken Exhibition Vase  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Huge Per Lütken Exhibition Vase
« on: October 14, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »
I feel very fortunate indeed to be the owner of this vase, a big big beast at 48cm tall! It was designed for exhibition in 1970 by Per Lütken for Holmegaard, and is fully recorded in his exhibition workbook (Form 2386). A very small handful of them would have been made to buy at the exhibition itself, and it was not put into production afterwards.

The design is completely free-blown, and is a malström of colours and bubbles.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Huge Per Lütken Exhibition Vase
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:24:30 PM »
Well done you. I don't actually think I like it though  :huh: I think it's the shape, although I can appreciate the skill involved

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 05:31:38 PM »
I think Lütken's abstract works are quite an acquired taste. Already, amongst the residents of Chez Pinkspoons, it has picked up the nickname 'The Mutant Fish Vase'.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 06:54:04 AM »
DO NOT POST IT ANYWHERE!!    :o >:D

I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 07:42:18 AM »
My heart was in my mouth as I was opening the parcel when it arrived - the sender had put it in a tiny box with barely 1-2cm to spare at either end, wrapped only in newspaper!  :o

Thankfully the vase is built like a brick outhouse and survived.

Doing a little more research into this vase, and it appears that a few of the designs from this exhibition series were simplified in terms of shape and decoration, and became the 'Cascade' series (1970-1979).

Small 'Cascade' Centrepiece, catalogue number 341 49 10:

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 07:36:12 AM »
Are you sure it wasn't a collaborative effort between Dr Seuss and Jim Henson, and that it doesn't hop around making honking noises? Its name might be 'Clark'. :-)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 10:54:51 AM »
Well it's been on my bedside table for about a month, and I've not noticed it doing that - but who knows what goes on during the day when I'm not here?  ;D

And, complying with Max's warning, this vase is being hand-delivered back to Denmark in February - no postal service will be getting their Holmegaard-destroying mits on it.  ;D

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 11:48:03 AM »
Are you sure it wasn't a collaborative effort between Dr Seuss and Jim Henson, and that it doesn't hop around making honking noises? Its name might be 'Clark'. :-)

;D it reminds me of the talking plant in The Little Shop of Horrors!

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 09:54:59 AM »

:clap: I can just imagine it doing that! And maybe even giving out a long drawn out wail as it looks for its mate..

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 01:04:13 AM »
Well its new home in Denmark will be amongst a lot of other unique exhibition pieces, so it doesn't have to pine for much longer.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand