No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signature N Orr '68 fox engraved goblet = Norman Orr Edinburgh crystal blank  (Read 17493 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
I don't think anyone else here really likes engraved glass like me, but maybe someone can help?

I've bought this heavy glass, absolutely exquisitely engraved with a fox and hedgehog, you can see muscle tone on the fox, and every hair on his tail - it's just wonderful!  :D

It's signed 'Nora 68'.  I think it might be by Nora Ortlieb, but I can't find anything much about her - could anyone perhaps say if that's how she signed her glass?  It's a really teeny signature, I don't think I could photo it - sorry.   :(

Here's the pics:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6503
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6502

TYVMIA[/b]
I am not a man

Sklounion

Signature N Orr '68 not Nora Ortlieb? = Italian BLANK
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 06:36:37 PM »
Hi Max,
Little available on-line apart from she studied under Wilhelm von Eiff at the Kunstgewerbeschule, Stuttgart.

Exhibition catalogue has one piece by her illustrated but whether you should consider paying $65?

"Glass of the Avant-Garde: from Vienna Secession to Bauhaus, The Torsten Bröhan Collection from the Museo Nacional de Artes Decorativas, Madrid
by Torsten Bröhan and Martin Eidelberg, 2001, Prestel Verlag, New York, NY, 212-995-2720, in association with Exhibitions International, and Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, Smithsonian Institution; 192 pages, English and Spanish, photographs by Angela Bröhan."

Possibly been remaindered.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 06:44:22 PM »
The book Marcus mentioned has two examples of her signature, One diamond engraved "NORA ORTLIEB" in allcaps along the bottom rim of a glass, which was used on items made at the Kunstgewerbeschule Stuttgart, the other initials N.O. in allcaps which she used on pieces from her own workshop.
There are 4 pieces depicted, all larger items of modernistic design with strikingly stylised decorations. Not really like your fox - which seems to me more traditional.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 08:07:14 PM »
Marcus, thanks for your help, you got further than I did on the net, thanks for the book reference - I looked and looked and got pretty much nowhere on my own.  xx

Ivo...I was relying on you saying 'Yes, that's Nora Ortlieb'...darn it. The signature doesn't sound the same at all.  Thanks for looking it up for me, I really appreciate it.

This is tip-top engraving (IMHO), can there be another Nora in 1968?  It seems odd to me.   :?
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 08:17:27 PM »
Max can you do some bigger pics, I think it is sandblasted and then engraved - but pic is a bit small.

Did you see my fisherman vase while here? That is sandblasted and copper wheel finished.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 08:29:38 PM »
The items in the Torsten Brohan collection are by definition early avantgarde works from the 1920s and 1930s - but she spent the rest of her life engraving glass in her own workshop in Stuttgart (until 1977). Unlikely that she would have kept up the avantgarde themes, but she would have maintained the impeccable engraving quality, and quite probable that she would have succumbed to the local taste. So it is quite possible that the piece from 1968 is, in fact, by Nora O. It has an amazing quality...

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 09:17:51 PM »
Frank, I haven't seen your fisherman vase.  That sounds like it could be Scandi subject..is it?  Please post it, I'd love to have a look.  Ill try and take a better photo tomorrow that's bigger for you to see.  :D

Ivo...thanks, that's what I'm hoping.  :D  I've never had a piece of engraving this good before (it was going to be a present for my mad Mum...but I'm keeping it now.. :D )  

I might see if I can ask another known glass engraver if he can help...  :?

Just realised to my chagrin that I've misread the signature.   I'm sorry to have wasted peoples time.   :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

It actually seems to read ' N Orr '68 '  ...I see Ivo's book has a C. Orr, but he doesn't seem to be a glass engraver anyway.

I've Googled and Googled and have had no replies to my emails to engravers yet.   :(

Does N Orr ring any bells?   :roll:
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 04:36:20 PM »
Norrt with me.

Will get round to snapping the fisherman one day, it is engraved by Alasdair Gordon while at Strathearn.

Sklounion

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 08:23:31 PM »
Max,
Please, an image of the signature?
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 01:27:15 PM »
Marcus - Here's a photo of the signature - I've left it really big, I hope you can see it ok.

It's a terrible signature, it looks like a child's done it.   :roll:

http://tinypic.com/dcvt4k.jpg

...looking forward to seeing your engraved fisherman one day Frank.  :)
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand