No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent Fazzoletto Vase  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Opalescent Fazzoletto Vase
« on: October 14, 2008, 11:48:49 AM »
Hoping somebody can help identify this beautiful 3 cornered fazolleto vase. It is in opalescent glass and stands approx. 16 cm high. It appears to be an older piece as there is a bit of wear to the foot. There doesn't appear to be any mark. the pontil has been neatly ground.

Thanks,

Steven

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Opalescent Fazzoletto Vase
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »
Very pretty vase! It is a kind of glass called opalino. The fazzolettos can be difficult to attribute. Four companies that I can think of that did a lot with opalino are Fratelli Toso, Seguso, Salviati, and Barovier & Toso. The pontil area looks most like the first two companies, but I do not know for sure. I hope someone else knows something more definite.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
Re: Opalescent Fazzoletto Vase
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »
Really nice piece. Very elegant. I agree that it very hard to tell you the source, but I can add at least another name between the possible producers:
Andrea Zilio for Anfora furnace; often he work with opaline glass for the classic pieces and he has a very delicate touch, as in your nice "fazzoleto".

I have seen several other fazzolettos made with opal white, but in general they are not so nice and "light" looking. I think that the master who made it, should be a "maestro gottiero", a person used to work with goblets and other light glassworks.

Sincerely

Alex
www.artofvenice.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand