No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A undiscovered glass masterpiece...................  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
A undiscovered glass masterpiece...................
« on: October 16, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »
Hi,
There was a recent post about Glass in Wartime ......................

I remembered seeing in the wartime workbooks of Frank Hill ( Whitefriars ) lots of entries for ' Breast pumps ' ( See image below ).
I then did some research and found the major supplier of breast pumps was a company named ' Maw of London ' with a product range called ' Vel-Fin '
With a stroke of luck when I searched on Ebay I found an example for sale with a BIN of 5.50 pounds. I knew that if the glass used for this pump was of a good quality it might well prove to be Whitefriars. When it arrived I was amazed to find it had been beautifully made and complete with a ' rolled foot ' rim . The quality of the glass was consistent with that used by Whitefriars and is probably lead crystal.
 When I next visit the Museum of London I will try to check if Maw of London is in their sales ledgers which should then prove that Frank Hill made this one .
The workbook shows an average of about 700 being made per week and this probably reflected the amount sold in wartime to help women to be able to work and feed their babies.
Regards, Patrick. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pat

• Members
Re: A undiscovered glass masterpiece...................
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 05:06:26 PM »
My friend still has one similar. She was using it in the 70's!
No retreat, No surrender.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 06:09:45 PM »
guess all of us breathfeeding moms remember this - I felt like a cow at that time , but was happy with that  :angel:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 09:39:16 AM »
Christine gave me this link a while back about the company...
http://www.psa.org.au/site.php?id=1275
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 01:49:56 PM »
Hi,
 Just bought this earlier version........   http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/L-K-Rare-Boxed-MAW-SON-THOMPSON-Breast-Glass_W0QQitemZ350111964217

Regards , Patrick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand