No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian ?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Victorian ?
« on: October 17, 2008, 05:46:37 AM »
Do many sellers have some sort of mental default setting, that means anything they cannot identify is 'Victorian' - such as this Strathearn ?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Victorian ?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 06:41:37 AM »
No, you've got it wrong; there are four categories. Anything very very old is 19th C, anything very old is Victorian, anything old is Art Deco and everything else is retro. The grades of old being subjective of course and antique being applied to anything made before 1980 and vintage to anything after.

I just hope the protective cardboard box contains some protective packing for the pretty paperweight.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 08:52:40 AM »
I sometimes think these people pull their attributions out of the rears.

And then there's off course the "L@@K! WOW beautiful paperweight" that looks like it came off the reject pile in a Chinese paperweight factory.

This one tho, is quite pretty. I love Strathearn's colours.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 01:52:14 PM »
Second link goes to the same as the first one - maybe I should tidy up this thread? And maybe I should think about moderating the comment: "pull their attributions out of the rears" - which may be what many folk believe, but the sellers may just be going on what they have been told by others.

Has anyone informed the seller of the truth about the age of the Strathearn weight, or asked where their information was obtained?

I do find eBay sellers' descriptions very frustrating at times but it's just part of the way things are, unless attempts are made to educate them. That, of course, is a subject we have touched on several times in the board, and not just for paperweights. And as we know, with some sellers it makes no difference to them whatever we might say, even if backed up with links to sites showing details.
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:18:56 PM »
Hi Kev

I sent a message through the eBay system at the same time as I posted here, informing the seller of the correct provenance. No response as yet.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 05:12:33 PM »
Several times a week I contact sellers with the correct information. I'm not rude or anything. Some are thankful and some are really abusive. The abusive ones are for more common than they should be and on occasion I will pass up emailing a seller because I'm not in the mood for nasty replies.

I was just venting a little here.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 09:47:47 AM »
I would just never buy from anyone who responded rudely to shared information. eBay should add a block seller option and also show how many buyers have added such a block in a sellers profile.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand