No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Labels  (Read 8389 times)

Offline irenecav

• Members
  • IreneCav.
Orrefors Labels
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »
I have never seen an Orrefors tag/label that was not Red, I received a pair of votives which apart from being stunning have  Green Orrefors labels, is this any indication of date? or are the labels faded. I also have a vase which with a small exception is not unlike the Sven Palmqvist on page 86 of Smoke and Ice also have a set of heart shape ashtrays (I think thats what they are), also another vase which is signed but the base is so wore cannot make it out, so if anybody can help me ID these I will be eternally gratefull and forever in your debt. I thank you for your time it is so very appreciated. I hope my fellow Scot from Canada is still around and also Dirk from Germany. Also this Pukeberg Suncatcher with the black and white tag I got for 50 cents at the local Goodwill store any idea of the designer?.

http://community.webshots.com/album/568151338tunWdU?start=0
I think therefore I am

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Re: Orrefors Labels
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:05:46 AM »
The Green label on Orrefors indicates the crystal was a second purchased at the store located at the glassworks.

The company has changed the second label to black and white early in the 2000's. New management always has to leave their mark on something that works.

Bill Geary

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 12:37:46 AM »
Hi:  It may be my browser (Firefox), but I can't enlarge the little pics, making it hard to figure out what's what. Could you take pictures of the individual pieces and upload them? Thanks.

DF (an ex Scot in Canada)
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 07:08:23 AM »
Hi:  It may be my browser (Firefox), but I can't enlarge the little pics

go to add-ons and install zoombrowser - you'll love it.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 07:43:28 AM »
I think it's you David, I just clicked on the thumbnails in Firefox and bingo, no add-on here

Offline irenecav

• Members
  • IreneCav.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 12:30:24 PM »
Morning DF, I just clicked on the original link I posted and its fine. If you dont mind me asking how did a Scot end up in Canada?, what do you do there?.
You could ask the same of me (a lot of people do).
I think therefore I am

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 12:28:19 AM »
The pictures work fine today. Perhaps I had too many windows open yesterday. Irene, originally, I came to Canada to do research, and earn enough money for university in Scotland. Then I came for a year and stayed for a lifetime. I'm retired. I was a high school principal. Glass is the retirement hobby that I wouldn't have guessed.

David

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 12:39:56 AM »
Then I forgot to answer the question about the glass. I can see the similarities between your piece and Sven Palmquist's piece in Smoke & Ice, but the differences and absence of a signature would bother me. It also looks similar to some Hadeland and Skruf vases. I'm assuming it's cut and not moulded. There's no "H" on the bottom, is there?

David

Offline irenecav

• Members
  • IreneCav.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 12:46:31 AM »
A Headmaster? I lost count of how many times I ended up standing outside his door, had so many detentions that I never went to they posted a teacher at every exit after school and bodily dragged me back. When my Headmaster found out I had six younger sisters and a younger Brother he almost had a stroke.
I got into glass by accident as the only thing I used to collect was dust and empty beer cans (am joking about the dust). At first it was American art glass especially the older hand blown pieces, not to be confused with depressing oops my bad depression (I don't like depression glass), and then I discovered Scandinavian glass. I also collect paperweights and make things with glass, have a glass grinder and all kinds of cool tools. My bedroom looks more like a work shop than a bedroom, no stuffed animals and loads of frilly stuff.
I think therefore I am

Offline irenecav

• Members
  • IreneCav.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 01:04:24 AM »
Hello, I got your post while I was typing my reply, I know what you mean about the signature but it doesn't in any way resemble EAPG, the vase its gorgeous signature or not the clarity and brilliance are well, brilliant.
Also my friend picked me up a present, they still have the stickers on them they were made in Poland from a Danish design and they contain the "open bubble", which I read was a characteristic often used by Wirkkala in his designs.
Interesting fact I came across a while ago, Czechoslovakia produces the purest form of Silica there is.
I think therefore I am

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand