No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identifying type of crack in class  (Read 4227 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Identifying type of crack in class
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 07:23:27 AM »
I have to confess that I have a place in my collection for glass that is flawed. For example, I have a quite early (1948) Kraka vase in a shape I don't see too often. It's almost a fabulous piece, apart from a crack similar to the one you describe running around the neck. I love looking at the piece, marvelling at the genius that went into the design and execution. Also, I'm secretly (or used to be until now) a little proud that I only paid $9.95 on eBay. (It was accurately described, btw.) And I still keep pieces of a giant Gro Bergslien plate that broke in the mail. So, if one would love it if it were perfect, surely there should be a little room in one's heart for perfection's blemished cousin. 

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Missc

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 09:56:22 PM »
I couldn't part with the piece. I am attaching a couple of photos. It was one of my first pieces and I really like it. Later I bought a gorgeous yellow piece with toffee tones and large bubbles that seemed to be Seguso and it arrived smashed to bits in the mail. I only paid $13 for it but again, it was not the price but the feeling the piece gave to me. I didn't keep it though, too many curious kittens around.

Also, the names on my pictures are only what I think they might be, not what they are unless there is a label on the piece (of which I only have a couple). So this could be a generic piece unless someone tells me otherwise. I don't mind. Again, it's more for the feeling. I did buy a couple of pieces that I did pay more for so in that case, it would be nicer to have confirmation that I didn't throw my money away! But that's the gamble a novice like me takes!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 11:04:53 PM »
It looks like a very nice piece. It's really hard to get a positive attribution on a piece like this, as many companies made similar pieces.  Probably any of the good companies could have made this, as they all had the technical expertise, and it's not a particularly individual design. The important thing is whether you like it and whether it's a quality piece. I can't answer the first part but it looks like it's good quality, something that Barbini or Galliano Ferro might have made.

It's easy to disparage eBay, and there are certainly some very reputable dealers around. However, I think this is great time to be starting a glass collection as I see some real bargains on eBay. What looked like a Barbini basket went for $29.00 last week, and a signed Luigi Onesto sommerso vase went for about $30.00. You have to trust your eye, not the seller's attribution, but do ask if there any chips, flea bites, or scratches. And you have to be prepared to make the occasional mistake.

Good luck.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Missc

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 12:02:40 AM »
Thanks so much. I agree about having to be willing to make a few mistakes. I hope I am developing more of an "eye" for things as I go. But that still means I gamble all the time. It's a toss up if you can't really sit with the documentation and confirm things. One thing that is really nice is that there is the label library and one on Fossilfly too. Those are big bookmarks for me. Anyway, one thing I am really happy about is that I have had good luck so far on E-bay as far as decent sellers. The people here are excellent too and that is very comforting.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 12:32:17 AM »
We have a reference collection of labels as well over on GlassGallery, it's the dedicated image hosting for the board. Feel free to explore it. :)  http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Missc

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 06:12:04 AM »
Thanks so much. There is a lot of great information I have yet to discover! As you can see, I am up late going through all kind of info.
Lisa

Offline Missc

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 05:01:17 PM »
Hi, got permission to use the photos as my own. Thanks,
Lisa

Offline turnip45

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 06:11:31 PM »
It's horrible when one returns home with a piece that one thought of as perfect when bought, then displays a crack within the glass.  This happened to me at the auction!  I bought a beautiful piece of Davidsons Yellow Vaseline, which to my knowledge was perfect on viewing, only to find a huge two cm crack WITHIN the glass when I unpacked at home.  The crack couldn't be felt on the inside or outside of the glass, so all I can think is that I missed the fault at viewing, (which I find highly unlikely), or it happened through stress of being handled in the interim time of viewing to bidding.  Whatever, I will just turn the crack round out of sight until sometime in the future, when I can replace the piece.  It's annoying, but a risk one takes when buying vintage glass.
B

Offline brewster113

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 09:12:53 PM »
Hi it could be a stress crack, because when you combine different glasses as well as metalic powders they all contract and cool at different rates and there could be some very powerful stresses built up. I blow glass and have had several of my experimental pieces blow apart some time after they were blown. Sometimes you may see this type of cracking in paperweights as they are made in layers as well.
regards Bruce w. Thurston

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 03:31:58 PM »
I bought a beautiful piece of Davidsons Yellow Vaseline, which to my knowledge was perfect on viewing, only to find a huge two cm crack WITHIN the glass when I unpacked at home. 
B

Hi B, is this the yellow pearline glass?  Pearline seems to be susceptible to cracking - I wonder why it is?  Most of the pieces I find have a crack through them, including my lovely Davidson basket (but for £1 I decided I could live with the crack as it's so beautiful!) :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand