No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The Chinese are getting better  (Read 2592 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: The Chinese are getting better
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 05:47:20 PM »
And if you go to Baccarat, you will find a couple of shops right across the street from the real Baccarat showroom with Chinese paperweights that have a 'Baccarat' label on them (it has the shop name and address in small letters, and Baccarat in large ones)! I know Baccarat took one of them to court some time ago, but they are still at it.

Similarly, a 'Murano' label is not the same as a 'Made in Murano' label.  And all the rogue traders have to do, for example, is give the base of a Chinese weight a quick polish and then they can put on a 'Made in Murano' label without being prosecuted.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 10:40:52 PM »
The made in Murano labels have been used and not after the first sale! For them it is a question of survival but while that is an important issue it does upset some of the people involved. It probably means that more people kept their jobs though. A difficult dilemma to be wildly critical of the situation.

For collectors it creates a challenge, but at least a label can be removed. I have lost count of the number of such challenges aired on this board and elsewhere.

Does anyone have examples of Murano weights with Edinburgh Crystal labels... another company that outsourced. I would like to add some to Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 04:19:09 PM »
Here is another by the same seller that is more obviously Chinese. Look at the base. It does show more cane complexity than is usual. It's still in the expected colours. The same sticker is on all the weights offered by this seller.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 04:50:41 PM »
Hi

To see just a few examples of what is available from China, try searching for glass paperweight on Alibaba.com.  Or checkout the Shandong Jinding International Trading Company.

Here is an example of an item advertised as 'Glass paperweight like Murano Glass' (the webpage can be very slow to load).

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand